Premed 101 Forums

Hi all! 

I have a question about the science prerequisites for McGill. I will be applying this coming year (for Fall 2019 admission) and I'm trying to get all the prerequisites completed. I will, however, only be able to take the second physics course next winter term (i.e. winter 2019) and I was wondering if that means I'm ineligible to apply? I know by then they will have sent invites for the interview. Since I will be enrolled in the course at the time, does that mean I can't even apply? Or is there a way they give conditional offers? Thank you!! 

5 minutes ago, canstudent said:

Hi all! 

I have a question about the science prerequisites for McGill. I will be applying this coming year (for Fall 2019 admission) and I'm trying to get all the prerequisites completed. I will, however, only be able to take the second physics course next winter term (i.e. winter 2019) and I was wondering if that means I'm ineligible to apply? I know by then they will have sent invites for the interview. Since I will be enrolled in the course at the time, does that mean I can't even apply? Or is there a way they give conditional offers? Thank you!! 

"At least 5 of 7 OPTION 1 science prerequisite courses, including labs, must be complete (with official grades submitted) by the Nov. 1 application deadline. If applicable, the grades for a maximum of 2 in-progress science prerequisite courses may be submitted by January 15 prior to admission."

Source:http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites 

You must complete all pre-reqs by January 15, 2019, so it would appear you would be ineligible for 2018-2019 cycle (i.e., Fall 2019 admissions).

3 minutes ago, la marzocco said:

"At least 5 of 7 OPTION 1 science prerequisite courses, including labs, must be complete (with official grades submitted) by the Nov. 1 application deadline. If applicable, the grades for a maximum of 2 in-progress science prerequisite courses may be submitted by January 15 prior to admission."

Source:http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites 

You must complete all pre-reqs by January 15, 2019, so it would appear you would be ineligible for 2018-2019 cycle (i.e., Fall 2019 admissions).

Thank you so much for showing me this, I really appreciate it!!

I have a quick question, if you don't mind, since I won't have the physics by January 15, 2019, am I able to instead use the OPTION 2 ? (I know the website talks about using Option 2 if some of your option 1 pre-reqs have expired) so I don't know if this would count, seeing as I wouldn't have even taken the course. 

1 minute ago, HoopDreams said:

Yes you can.
And by the way, you could take Physics anywhere : CEGEP, University, Online University, etc.
So if your CEGEP grades are good, don't waste your time doing all classes of Option 2.
Just try to take that class during summer for example.

I'm an OOP and with my current degree, I have the Option 2 courses completed, just not the Option 1 :)

I will definitely look into doing physics online though, as my option 1 courses have better grades. Thank you so much! 

3 minutes ago, HoopDreams said:

Yes you can.
And by the way, you could take Physics anywhere : CEGEP, University, Online University, etc.
So if your CEGEP grades are good, don't waste your time doing all classes of Option 2.
Just try to take that class during summer for example.

6 minutes ago, canstudent said:

Thank you so much for showing me this, I really appreciate it!!

I have a quick question, if you don't mind, since I won't have the physics by January 15, 2019, am I able to instead use the OPTION 2 ? (I know the website talks about using Option 2 if some of your option 1 pre-reqs have expired) so I don't know if this would count, seeing as I wouldn't have even taken the course. 

No you cannot use Option 2: "IF you have previously completed all courses in OPTION 1, and wish to either improve your science GPA, or if some of your courses in OPTION 1 have expired (older than eight years), you may choose to use OPTION 2 and complete the 4 recommended university-level science courses." You can only use Option 2 if you have completed all the courses under Option 1 (which is not the case if you haven't completed all your physics pre-req). 

But I agree with HoopDreams w/r to the second point, try to do your physics in the summer/fall term (online or other means).

1 minute ago, la marzocco said:

No you cannot use Option 2: "IF you have previously completed all courses in OPTION 1, and wish to either improve your science GPA, or if some of your courses in OPTION 1 have expired (older than eight years), you may choose to use OPTION 2 and complete the 4 recommended university-level science courses.

But I agree with HoopDreams w/r to the second point, try to do your physics in the summer/fall term (online or other means).

Ohhh :( I guess I'm stuck with doing physics online.. Thank you la marzocco! 

1 hour ago, la marzocco said:

No you cannot use Option 2: "IF you have previously completed all courses in OPTION 1, and wish to either improve your science GPA, or if some of your courses in OPTION 1 have expired (older than eight years), you may choose to use OPTION 2 and complete the 4 recommended university-level science courses." You can only use Option 2 if you have completed all the courses under Option 1 (which is not the case if you haven't completed all your physics pre-req). 

You are totally right @la marzocco!
I am sorry I always took for granted that it was either or for the options.
Thank you for the clarification :)

Archived