Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE Part 1 New Format - How to Study

On 4/24/2018 at 1:46 PM, d123123 said:

Did any of you guys take the practice tests on mcc.ca? Are they similar to the one your school provided? The results PDF doesn't mention what scores are considered average, just tells you to work on your weak areas (gee, thanks). 

Yeah I paid the $100 to do one. Scored 71. Thought I did better. Similar to the one via my school. Exact same PDF result of this idiotic table that actually tells you nothing. Don't understand who is in charge of this but they are doing a very poor job at ensuring graduating medical students are competent. If you want us to know things, show us the correct answer after we're done!

#freetheanswers

2 hours ago, md2018plz said:

Yeah I paid the $100 to do one. Scored 71. Thought I did better. Similar to the one via my school. Exact same PDF result of this idiotic table that actually tells you nothing. Don't understand who is in charge of this but they are doing a very poor job at ensuring graduating medical students are competent. If you want us to know things, show us the correct answer after we're done!

#freetheanswers

Was your school score similar? Do we have any clue how these correlate with the QE1 score? Is a 70 amazing or is it terrible or in between? I got a similar score to you and wish we had a frame of reference. 

On 4/25/2018 at 8:54 PM, d123123 said:

Was your school score similar? Do we have any clue how these correlate with the QE1 score? Is a 70 amazing or is it terrible or in between? I got a similar score to you and wish we had a frame of reference. 

Yes very similar. I counted the questions and they broke down into:

1. 30% PHEO
  2. 25% obgyn
  3. 15% peds
  4. 15% outpatient
  5. 10% psych
  6. 5% internal medicine/surgery

3 hours ago, DermJuly2018PGY1 said:

My exam felt like it was almost 25% PHELO and maybe 5% IM... Lots of office-based FM topics

Yep agreed, a lot of FM stuff.

I also found the whole exam to be quite vague. Didn’t enjoy that  

31 minutes ago, DermJuly2018PGY1 said:

The CDMs were definitely vague... You can lose out on a big chunk of your points if you can't come up with one diagnosis based on their super vague and poorly summarized clinical case

This is exactly how I felt. 

Anyone actually know what happens if we don’t pass? Is it true that we can’t prescribe meds..that would be a pretty rough way to start R1.

In Ontario nothing happens, but you need to pass it before writing Part 2.  I know a girl who failed and said that no one in her program found out, to the point that she took a "vacation week" in October of her first year to write it again.  She said she didn't study at all the first time because she had heard it was a joke, and passed comfortably the second time after studying.

2 hours ago, goleafsgochris said:

In Ontario nothing happens, but you need to pass it before writing Part 2.  I know a girl who failed and said that no one in her program found out, to the point that she took a "vacation week" in October of her first year to write it again.  She said she didn't study at all the first time because she had heard it was a joke, and passed comfortably the second time after studying.

Good to hear!

Anyone know how it works in Quebec?

Just wrote the exam last week. Walked out of the exam with a general feeling of doom and dread and have been having nightmares about failing. The sad part is that I actually studied super hard for it too. The exam was so vague and random that I am not even sure if studying was worth it. Does anyone feel this way? Can't believe we have to wait until July to find out about our scores. 

On a separate note, does anyone know what the fail rate amongst CMGs are ? I heard from my school that 10% of our class fail every year. 

1 hour ago, K1972 said:

Good to hear!

Anyone know how it works in Quebec?

In Quebec, if you go to one of the French schools, you can't graduate without passing the LMCC. I heard residency is delayed. If you go to McGill you can still graduate. 

3 hours ago, PenguinPete said:

Just wrote the exam last week. Walked out of the exam with a general feeling of doom and dread and have been having nightmares about failing. The sad part is that I actually studied super hard for it too. The exam was so vague and random that I am not even sure if studying was worth it. Does anyone feel this way? Can't believe we have to wait until July to find out about our scores. 

On a separate note, does anyone know what the fail rate amongst CMGs are ? I heard from my school that 10% of our class fail every year. 

In Quebec, if you go to one of the French schools, you can't graduate without passing the LMCC. I heard residency is delayed. If you go to McGill you can still graduate. 

Thanks for the info!

That’s pretty rough for those of us at the French schools.

For those at McGill, are you still allowed to prescribe?

Um that is not true for all French schools.. According to the MCC presentation, it's only ULaval and Sherbrooke that still counts the LMCC as part of their graduation criteria. However, even that isn't true. Starting this year, the LMCC does not count as a criteria promotion at Sherbrooke. So if you go to a French school, go check your university's promotion criteria for peace of mind.

• 5 weeks later...

I know as a fact that McGill does not take the LMCC into account for graduation, since there are always a few who don't want to practice medicine after.

When it comes to prescriptions, I'm not sure, but I had my resident number from the CMQ before I even wrote the LMCC. So I GUESS you can prescribe? (I'm not 100% certain).

Edit: does anyone know when the results will be released? I hope I didn't fail this :P

Released after we start residency (sometime in July) since they changed a bunch of things this year.

I've heard that you can still prescribe without being co-signed and that no one knows you failed.

What do the students that don't practice medicine do with their MDs? Do they do medicine related things or something completely unrelated?

• 4 weeks later...

The SOR includes a total score, the pass score and final result (e.g. pass, fail). The total score is reported on a scale ranging from 100 to 400 with a mean of 250 and a standard deviation of 30 based on all spring 2018 results. The current pass score is 226 and was established by a panel of physician experts from across the country following a rigorous standard setting exercise in June 2018.

https://mcc.ca/research-and-development/score-interpretation/