Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE Part 1 New Format - How to Study

I'm kind of surprised by the statistics of the test. If the mean is 250 with a standard deviation of 30 and a pass score of 226, doesn't that mean about ~20% of people who take the test fail? Sure they include IMG, but I always thought IMG score higher than CMG since they have pass another more challenging exam.

3 hours ago, Yuen said:

I'm kind of surprised by the statistics of the test. If the mean is 250 with a standard deviation of 30 and a pass score of 226, doesn't that mean about ~20% of people who take the test fail? Sure they include IMG, but I always thought IMG score higher than CMG since they have pass another more challenging exam.

IMG failure rate is much higher than CMG rate, even on subsequent attempts.

I think the IMG fail rates must be mainly due to language (lots of questions in first part, need to have decent reading comprehension and reading speed) and ethics/professionalism type questions (e.g. your colleague does something morally questionable, what would you do type questions)

I scored 295 on the exam. Don't remember what I got on practice exams, around 80% on both I think.

I agree with Organomegaly. Studying throughout clerkship is the most helpful (doesn't need to be excessive). There's only so much you can review during the 1 month pre-exam. Much easier to retain things you see during rotations.

Although to be honest, not sure if the 1 month I studied before the exam was that useful. I wonder how much I would've scored without studying vs with studying. I feel like with time/clinical exposure, even if you don't know the answer to the question, you can eliminate multiple choice options with your gut feeling.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, StarStrike said:

What would you guys recommend to prep for the QE1? Is the "new" CanadaQBank any good?

Onlinemeded seems to be another popular option these days. I'm trying a combo of onlinemeded and TNotes right now, comparing them to see if I could stick to just one eventually.

4 hours ago, StarStrike said:

Fair, I'll give that a go. I was thinking of getting UWorld for the MCQ. Anything helpful to practice the CDM style Qs?

Not sure actually. Honestly, I don't know if there is a good resource out there. Ultimately though, the exam isn't actually that hard and you don't need to study in a CDM style Q style format specifically. I'd just make myself familiar with the style of question and study accordingly. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...