Premed 101 Forums

100pg KA notes sufficient for Psychology and Sociology on MCAT?

Taras

I was wondering if the 100 page notes from Khan Academy for Psychology and Sociology would be sufficient for content review on the MCAT? Of course just for the Psychology and Sociology section. Wondering if anyone has done this method before?

I did use the KA site and found it helpful driving home certain points but with this section which is very knowledge based, I would branch out to other sources too in case KA has missed some terms. I haven't looked at the 100 page notes but I'd still recommend this just to be safe.

I found the 100 pages of notes to be hard to understand in many places, because they're just summary notes. What I did was watch all the KA videos on 1.25x-1.5x speed over the course of 4 or 5 days, and used the notes as a way to quickly review once I already understood the concepts. It worked well, and I found the KA videos to be very thorough and fun to watch! I didn't use any other resources and got a 132 on P/S. So I would say KA is a solid resource to go for, and only spend time on other resources if you have enough time (I was a little rushed).

Yea I heard that as well, I was thinking of reading it once through quickly. But I think I will focus then primarily on Khan Academy. I study four months this summer, two for content review and some practice questions (EK 30 minute tests and in chapter practice questions, TPR CARS passages), and 2 months for slight review and heavy practice questions (AAMC, EK FL, KA passages). 

Do you think if I have dedicated around 10 weeks to content review (1 day a week to psychology and sociology) I would be able to get through all of Khan Academy Sociology and Psychology? How long did it take you?

Yeah do cover it, it doesn't take long. KA would take a long time even at higher speed. Their site design is very good at tracking your progress and motivating you, but there are a lot of videos and I didn't manage to finish them all. I had 2 months for content review and small practice questions, studying about 4 hours per day. I worked on whatever topic I felt like doing that day haha so not sure how much of that was for P/S

Oh wow 2 months seems like a very small amount of time to prepare for the MCAT, that just may be me. I outlined a pretty detailed schedule for content review to detail exactly what I will cover each day to make sure I get everything covered before starting full lengths. I have taken quite a lot of psychology courses before but none of which pertain to sociology. So I guess I will supplement with the 300pg KA notes. Thank you everyone!

I'm currently studying the psych section using both the 300pg and 100 pg document next to each other. I use the 100 pg for pure content and the 300 pg for examples or further clarification on something I don't understand. It's quite a lot of info to cover, it's got even more than the sciences. Currently on pg 76 of 100 pg which corresponds to pg 257 of the 300 pg. 

My goodness that looks overwhelming. I also have heard that the P/S section of the MCAT is the one highest based on memorization. Compared to the sciences, where you instead need to know the basics (connections between basics) and be able to apply it to more complex scenario. 

On 3/13/2018 at 1:44 PM, Taras said:

My goodness that looks overwhelming. I also have heard that the P/S section of the MCAT is the one highest based on memorization. Compared to the sciences, where you instead need to know the basics (connections between basics) and be able to apply it to more complex scenario. 

Yes but it's such easy memorization. Things generally are common sense especially since it's easily relevant to your everyday life experiences. If you can memorize the structures of amino acids, you can memorize these terms 

Archived