Premed 101 Forums

GPA 3.8 vs EC's

Lily95

Hi everyone, I graduated from my first degree in nursing (Université Laval) last summer and my cGPA is 3,80.  I plan to apply in MED at Mcgill next year (I'm an IP). I did sciences in CEGEP so I have all the prerequisites.

Since my GPA is borderline, I worry about my EC's (not the best either)

Do work related EC's count? I've been a patient attendant for 2 years during nursing school. And I'm currently a nurse at an Emergency Department. 

During nursing school, I did peer mentoring for 2 years. Essentially, I helped new nursing students to adapt to university and to develop a way to be successful in their classes.

In CEGEP, I was tutoring for French classes. 

That's about it... Would you suggest me anything to boost my EC's? 

Also, during my last 2 years, I lost a lot of weight. I'd say this has had a big impact on the woman I am now and on personal growth. Would it be relevant to talk about it in my CV?

(sorry for my english I'm french)

Thanks, 

Lily 

Hi Lily,

Your English appears perfect! :P

3.8 is not borderline for IP! I believe you are competitive academically. I would definitely include your work related experiences in your CV - as clearly you are demonstrating CanMEDS competencies. I am unsure about your loss of weight being included in your CV, let's see what others recommend. I recommend that you seek to expand your activities, depending upon time you have, to include a positive volunteering commitment to the wider community, e.g., Big Sisters where you mentor and become a role model to a young girl in need of this, helping the homeless in a soup kitchen, volunteering at a women's shelter, anything of interest to you where you are demonstrating compassion, empathy and making a contribution to society. This would demonstrate active participatory citizenship being involved within the wider community. BTW, I think a 3.8 is fantastic for nursing.

Hi Bambi, 

Thanks for your quick response! About my extracurricular experiences... 

I think it's important to mention that I am involved within the wider community, but not via volunteering. As an exemple, I participate actively in an mouvement to find a new physician who would come and practice at a place where the actual physician retired (and there's nobody to replace them). The lack of physician at this remote village and the tremendous need of that aging community are, in fact, some of the reasons why I want to start a new career. 

I understand this is still little to go by, so even if it's not always easy to find time as I'm working about 60-70 hours a week, I will do my best to get involved in some activities that are close to my heart. 

Lily :) 

1 minute ago, Calopee said:

If you don't mind my asking what is a cGPA? Is it on 4.3 or on 4.0?

Hello Calopee,

At ULaval, my GPA is 4.90/4.33. But I did a conversion (with McGill's scale) to obtain 3.80/4.0. If you need to convert your GPA, you can refer to page 22 of this document: http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/mdsr_workbook_user_guide_en_v2_0.pdf

2 hours ago, Lily95 said:

Seeing a lot of people with 4.0/4.0, it doesn't seem that much! But I'm still proud since it is really hard to get perfect scores in nursing school!!!

I think he was referring to the fact that you wrote "4.90" instead of (probably) 4.09. ;)

It would highly surprise me if you don't get an interview. First, your GPA is more than good enough. Second, you get extra points because it's a nursing program (they add points in academic context if you complete a professional degree) -> This makes a huge difference. Third, your ECs are actually really good. Working as a nurse for 2 yrs is one of the best work experiences one could possibly write on a CV. And you even have peer mentoring/tutoring = icing on the cake. 

11 hours ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

I agree with Bambi. I'm sure with your work schedule it must be difficult to get involved in other activities. However, I would also suggest finding a community volunteering activity (perhaps something you could work on remotely so it would be possible to accommodate your changing shift work?) 

Will definitely do that! thanks!

Archived