Premed 101 Forums

McGill reinstating the DAT requirement

Need an additional criterion to differentiate the large amounts of 3.95-4.00 GPA applicants. Plus, it provides additional information for their holistic approach of selecting applicants. I think McGill has the most admission criteria in their application process than any other dental school (PS, CV, cGPA, DAT, Casper) which can help people compensate for areas they lack in (low GPA, but great CV, casper, PS).

2 minutes ago, Coronaxtra said:

Need an additional criterion to differentiate the large amounts of 3.95-4.00 GPA applicants. Plus, it provides additional information for their holistic approach of selecting applicants. I think McGill has the most admission criteria in their application process than any other dental school (PS, CV, cGPA, DAT, Casper) which can help people compensate for areas they lack in (low GPA, but great CV, casper, PS).

Do you think they will re-implement the MCAT for the medical school down the road?

34 minutes ago, kiterunner said:

Do you think they will re-implement the MCAT for the medical school down the road?

I actually dont think so bcz u have to remember that a lot of applicants are francophones and the MCAT isnt offered in french. So it would be unfair to some of the applicants if McGill were to impose the MCAT in Quebec, a french-speaking province. Anyways, thats what I think!

Adding the DAT is meant to find applicants who are truly interested in dentistry. From what I know, it will be a cut off mark (something simular to like what UofT med has for their MCAT - 125). Something that is achievable, as long as some work is put into it :)

I would not worry about it too much! I don't think it will impact the selecting process too much!! 

Archived