Premed 101 Forums

Anyone who knew their interview was BAD and still got in?

My interview REALLY didn't go so well for a number of reasons that don't matter now. My answers were mediocre for the most part, I totally messed up on 2 stations (one of them was so bad even the interviewer looked at me and was so confused (because I was so confused as to what I was saying myself)). 

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who had a very similar experience with a mediocre GPA & MCAT (127 CARS) and still got in/waitlisted? 

2 hours ago, Astef said:

My interview REALLY didn't go so well for a number of reasons that don't matter now. My answers were mediocre for the most part, I totally messed up on 2 stations (one of them was so bad even the interviewer looked at me and was so confused (because I was so confused as to what I was saying myself)). 

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who had a very similar experience with a mediocre GPA & MCAT (127 CARS) and still got in/waitlisted? 

If the interview is quote on quote "bad" then given the weighting being 70% it is unlikely to result in acceptance

That said, plenty of people are successful in subsequent years or are incorrect in judging their interview performance

You don't know until you know! 

We are our harshest critics. 

You probably did better than you thought. 

I’d say breathe, distract yourself, and hope for the best.

Personally, I don’t think I did that well in at least 2 stations.

Some people come out of the interviews feeling great and don’t get it in. Others feel horrible and get in.

So try not to worry! You’ll know the results in 49 days!

Best of luck!

Coming out of the interview I felt pretty good but after thinking about it I feel like I could have done way better. I feel like I went off topic on 2 stations. One of my stations the interviewer looked so bored. On another she looked like she wasnt following what I was saying so I asked her if she understood lol. Another one when I ran out of things to say my interviewer told me to re read the question (I didnt misinterpret or misread it so idk why he told me to do that) and didnt ask me any prompting questions which I thought was super weird.

Oh well. There's nothing you can do about it now so relax. 

I stammered quite a bit, rambled often & was almost always given additional prompts that were extensions of the questions asked, in the sense that there was information I forgot to say or should have touched upon...

I am certain that it was a less than stellar performance and overall, average at best. Still, we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

1 hour ago, Astef said:

I stammered quite a bit, rambled often & was almost always given additional prompts that were extensions of the questions asked, in the sense that there was information I forgot to say or should have touched upon...

I am certain that it was a less than stellar performance and overall, average at best. Still, we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

I wouldn't worry about the prompts part. Getting any kind of prompt is not a negative to your evaluation in any way, it's an opportunity to fill in the gaps and that's what they're there for. And they know you are nervous, so don't be too hard on yourself. :) I am having a hard time resisting the urge to ruminate on my interviews too, I get it.

On 3/24/2018 at 4:55 PM, Persephone said:

I wouldn't worry about the prompts part. Getting any kind of prompt is not a negative to your evaluation in any way, it's an opportunity to fill in the gaps and that's what they're there for. And they know you are nervous, so don't be too hard on yourself. :) I am having a hard time resisting the urge to ruminate on my interviews too, I get it.

Agreed.  The whole setup of this interview is to pick people who have the skills they're looking for, not people with good interview skills.  The prompts are a way to make sure they're actually getting at your skill level, and not your interview skills.  

Panel interviews are famously biased towards people with good interview skills regardless of their actual competency, and that's why Mac does an MMI. 

Good interview skills are important in a candidate as it shows that the person can handle stress, communicate effectively in an one on one situation, and discuss difficult topics. There’s gonna be a lot of daily scenarios where doctors will need to be doing the above 3 things. Hence, selection should be biased towards candidates with good interview skills. The MMI also selects for that.

For me, I left the interview feeling pretty good. Now that it's over and done with, and I've had more time to ruminate, I feel as if I could've done a lot better. There were a couple of stations where I didn't know what the expected response was or that I think I could've expanded on more, but I suppose that's the MMI for you. Hopefully we all hear back some good news on May 9th!

Archived