Premed 101 Forums

Is being passionate about a particular idea in the MMIs frowned upon? Is one supposed to be neutral?

I got an MMI question about a topic that I am very passionate about and I shared my ideas with the interviewer, but I did not talk thoroughly about both perspectives / sides of the issue and I clearly had an opinion about the topic .. so right now, I am worried if being opinionated in the MMI a bad thing? Is one supposed to be neutral?

My interviewer noticed my passion and she said it is very rare to have someone my age to be very passionate about this particular topic. Is being passionate about certain ideas in the MMI frowned upon?

23 hours ago, med9993 said:

I got an MMI question about a topic that I am very passionate about and I shared my ideas with the interviewer, but I did not talk thoroughly about both perspectives / sides of the issue and I clearly had an opinion about the topic .. so right now, I am worried if being opinionated in the MMI a bad thing? Is one supposed to be neutral?

My interviewer noticed my passion and she said it is very rare to have someone my age to be very passionate about this particular topic. Is being passionate about certain ideas in the MMI frowned upon?

I think its important to be passionate but in moderation. Even if you are very passionate about a certain issue, you don't want to be too passionate in an MMI. It is also important to demonstrate that you are open minded so it is always good to talk about their opposing viewpoint but make a decision in the end. 

Being knowledgeable about the topic is good, but you don't want to seem like you think there is one right answer and nothing else. You want to make sure you talk about all sides and then say i like this one best though because such such and such. It is also good to mention that these are difficult decisions, because MMI scenarios usually are very grey rather than black and white scenarios. 

There is a lot of room for passion in medical school, but it is important to recognize that the MMI isn't really representative of real life, just like how you don't practice medicine like you do it in an OSCE, you do have to put on a bit of a show for the MMI. 

I'm sure you did fine, i wouldn't worry too much at this point. 

I have a similar concern, in one of my MMI prompts I took a humanitarian perspective that was on the 'being nice" and less analytical side, and the interviewer didn't really look impressed. He challenged my arguments by bringing different viewpoints or comparisons. Now I think about it I could have talked and acknowledged the other side more, but I didn't, and kept arguing towards my humanitarian perspective while I initially felt kinda good about it, but now I'm not sure whether I messed it up or not. 

21 hours ago, Chaplin said:

I have a similar concern, in one of my MMI prompts I took a humanitarian perspective that was on the 'being nice" and less analytical side, and the interviewer didn't really look impressed. He challenged my arguments by bringing different viewpoints or comparisons. Now I think about it I could have talked and acknowledged the other side more, but I didn't, and kept arguing towards my humanitarian perspective while I initially felt kinda good about it, but now I'm not sure whether I messed it up or not. 

Better than arguing the non humanitarian side for sure though. Interviewers are actually trying to put you under some pressure to see how you respond, so don't worry about that part.

Archived