Premed 101 Forums

Official May 8 Countdown Thread

38 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

I anticipated the whole people asking about how it went, so I told as little people possible that I actually received an interview. 

So it’s lil old me, alone in agony, without other people to remind me of the anxiety I already have lol.

You’re not alone! I find it very hard to vent/tell other people who have never gone through this process either. They don’t understand the emotional roller coaster that we feel and how much our life/future/dream depends on this! 

I’m here to listen if you need :)

1 hour ago, Monocyte said:

I anticipated the whole people asking about how it went, so I told as little people possible that I actually received an interview. 

So it’s lil old me, alone in agony, without other people to remind me of the anxiety I already have lol.

Yeah, last year I was finishing up my undergrad, and unfortunately in my program pretty much everyone was gunning for med so there was no way hiding that I was applying and interviewing in Ontario (I'm from BC). Everyone knew which day results were out, it was just a hard day. 

This year I kept silent except for the ppl I prepped with, you guys here on the forums and the S/O who drove me to the airport LOL, even the parents don't know so I don't worry them. 

Only interviewed at Queens... Praying that 20% ish acceptance rate works in my favor. :/ 

2 hours ago, Egg_McMuffin said:

Ugh I hate it when people ask me how it went and I tell them that I'm on a hope-despair rollercoaster, and they go "oh come on I'm sure you knocked it out of the park!"

I'm really glad that at least the weather is getting warmer. I'm looking forward to more frolicking. My work contract will be done in 3 months, which means I'm heading into job application mode soon. It's pretty exciting thinking about all the places I can move to next, regardless of medical school.

It's hard to really get across how frustrating this process is to people who haven't gone through it - and I don't mean that in a gross, elitist kind of way. This process is full of anxiety and feels profoundly isolating at times. While these comments from others well intended, these sorts of interactions really start to feel like rubbing salt in the interview-wound. Maybe some frolicking is just what we all need! 

2 hours ago, Monocyte said:

If it is necessary for me to undergo this painful process again, I'm definitely going with your approach next time. Getting to interviews felt so exciting I was compelled to share, but I'm paying for that now :( 

1 hour ago, chiynadoll said:

Yeah, last year I was finishing up my undergrad, and unfortunately in my program pretty much everyone was gunning for med so there was no way hiding that I was applying and interviewing in Ontario (I'm from BC). Everyone knew which day results were out, it was just a hard day. 

This year I kept silent except for the ppl I prepped with, you guys here on the forums and the S/O who drove me to the airport LOL, even the parents don't know so I don't worry them. 

Only interviewed at Queens... Praying that 20% ish acceptance rate works in my favor. :/ 

Well I’m glad we have each other on here :). I hope it goes well for you. I only interviewed at Ottawa so I feel your pain. 

This forum has been really helpful in this process. There’s a calming feeling I get when I know other people are feeling what I am. I’m not alone! 

1 hour ago, markup said:

If it is necessary for me to undergo this painful process again, I'm definitely going with your approach next time. Getting to interviews felt so exciting I was compelled to share, but I'm paying for that now :( 

I was quiet about my applications last cycle and understand that it's easier not putting yourself up for expectations. However, this cycle I was upfront with people about my goals and in a way, I found that to motivate me to make sure they materialize. I wish that you don't need a next time, but do what you are comfortable with- for me it was nice to have other's support even if it was quite scary!

interviewed at UBC and queens.

felt bad about UBC back in february and just did Queens this past weekend and feeling even worse about that :( these were my first ever med interviews and i feel convinced that i wont be getting into med this year.. pretty disappointed bc who knows if i'll even get any more interviews if i have to reapply :( k r y

21 minutes ago, peanut.socks said:

felt bad about UBC back in february and just did Queens this past weekend and feeling even worse about that :( these were my first ever med interviews and i feel convinced that i wont be getting into med this year.. pretty disappointed bc who knows if i'll even get any more interviews if i have to reapply :( k r y

In the worst case that you don't get accepted, I'm sure you have learned a lot about the process and yourself this cycle. You'll improve for next cycle and having received interviews at these 2 schools gives me an idea that you're a strong applicant. I have faith you will make it, if not this year then the next

29 minutes ago, peanut.socks said:

Two interviews is awesome! Now you know what those are like - it's really different to live through them compared to reading/hearing about them second hand. 

Even in the worst case, you'll have a year to explore your interests and improve your application (and you're already a competitive applicant since you received interviews this round) for the better. If it comes down to it, the additional experience and maturity you'll have will further boost your application. 

Of course, I hope you get awesome news in May so you won't have to worry about this process again :)

Guys, although we all feel shitty about portions about our interview, reality is is that we made it thus far! It's a huge accomplishment and blessing to have the opportunity the interview, and honestly, we probably did a bit better than what we think. Furthermore, if we were neurotic enough to create an account on this forum, ask questions, and possibly formed groups to practice, we probably did good enough to gain an acceptance. With a bit (or a lot!) of luck, we'll make it!!

On 2018-03-28 at 5:35 PM, Monocyte said:

I tried this approach but my mom and S/O ended up telling basically everyone I know... now I am dreading the "so did you get in??" conversations with everyone come May if things don't turn out well.

7 minutes ago, healthscireject said:

Any idea when in the day the schools send out their emails? Is it all at once or in waves? Rejects first then acceptance? Esp for McMaster

In waves, range of a couple hours apart. Most results are sent out in the morning. A couple years ago I noted from the forums that it seemed more acceptances get sent before rejections, although this was just a crude observation. 

It was a morning/day that I needed to book off!

16 minutes ago, mew said:

In my endless rumination, I'm starting to think one of my responses in one station may be construed as a red flag...it was a personal question and I initially presented my answer poorly, then tried to correct myself and further elaborate to explain, but I don't know if my original presentation overshadowed that. I initially came out of that interview feeling alright but I'm literally making myself sick at this point and don't know how to stop. I'm so disappointed in myself for blowing these opportunities :(

Hey Mew, I doubt you got a red flag. It'll take some serious racist/ignorant remark or swearing to get one of those.
I'm sure you did better than you thought! 
Don't worry about it and watch some of these youtube videos to cheer you up:

21 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

In the worst case that you don't get accepted, I'm sure you have learned a lot about the process and yourself this cycle. You'll improve for next cycle and having received interviews at these 2 schools gives me an idea that you're a strong applicant. I have faith you will make it, if not this year then the next

Thank you for the encouraging words Eudaimonia :) and congratulations on getting accepted to McGill!!!! Incredible accomplishment!

21 hours ago, markup said:

Two interviews is awesome! Now you know what those are like - it's really different to live through them compared to reading/hearing about them second hand. 

Even in the worst case, you'll have a year to explore your interests and improve your application (and you're already a competitive applicant since you received interviews this round) for the better. If it comes down to it, the additional experience and maturity you'll have will further boost your application. 

Of course, I hope you get awesome news in May so you won't have to worry about this process again :)

Thanks markup!!! <3 :D 

Personally I am working and "catching up" on all the things I have been putting off in order to dedicate my time to interview prep. For example... (attempting to) work out regularly, learning how to cook a few new things, spending more time with people, and enjoying some shows that have been recommended to me. I am really enjoying watching QE on Netflix! 

Also, as I am OOP for the schools I received interviews from, I am making a conscious effort to spend more quality time with friends and family here at home, no matter what the outcome might be.