Premed 101 Forums

5th year/Masters/Year off ?

Hi everyone, 

I was just wondering if a 5th year, Masters or a year off would be more beneficial to my application. I didn't apply this year and honestly I'm not sure how I would rank in terms of my application based on GPA alone. I received a couple interviews in medicine but after a few seminars/conference, I really feel more passionate about dentistry and am seriously considering it.  Anyways, here is my GPA: 

Year 1: 3.89

Year 2: 3.89 

Year 3: 3.92 

Year 3.93-3.96

I think my uoft wGPA would be between my 3.91-3.92 depending on how 4th year goes. Assuming I get a 21 AA and 20 Pat, would I be competitive for uoft dental school. Also, is GPA rounded to the nearest hundredth decimal place or would it show to 3 decimal places? 

My ECs are average, but I don't think Uoft dentistry evaluates them. 

Honestly was a bit gutted because my cGPA is pretty much the same as my uoft wGPA, so would that not be taken into consideration in the application review process. Any help would be appreciated - thanks !

I honestly don't think that a fifth year will help you all that much since your grades are pretty good, even if you took a fifth year and got a 4.0 at most it will only boost you by +0.02. I think it would be way more beneficial to try and do better in the dat, if you can get a 22AA and 21Pat I can't imagine that you wont at least get an interview. The only reason I'm so certain is because thats exactly what I got on the dat and I had a lower gpa then you. 

2 hours ago, Fakedoctor said:

I honestly don't think that a fifth year will help you all that much since your grades are pretty good, even if you took a fifth year and got a 4.0 at most it will only boost you by +0.02. I think it would be way more beneficial to try and do better in the dat, if you can get a 22AA and 21Pat I can't imagine that you wont at least get an interview. The only reason I'm so certain is because thats exactly what I got on the dat and I had a lower gpa then you. 

Just want to echo this post! I had a 3.91 wGPA and 22/20 on the DAT and got accepted. Personally I think a 21/20 will be enough to get an interview since the DAT is apparently only worth 10%. You would have to have a higher interview score than others to compensate for the lower GPA, but I would definitely apply once before committing to a masters.

Archived