Premed 101 Forums

Post-Refusal

Hi everyone,

As most of you already know, the MDCM decisions came out today. I was refused. Pretty bummed about it. I think the interview went okay, not too great but not terrible either. I do have a 4.0 pre req GPA so I was hoping that would pull up my overall rank, and the rejection did come as a big unpleasant surprise. 

I will be engaging in some reflection when I feel better but just looking for some words of wisdom from others that have gone through similar situations.

Moving forward, I would like to reapply (but  it's so easy to lose hope right now). I'm also not sure how I'd improve my interview. I did overthink many things afterwards, but in the moment I was myself and wouldn't do anything differently IRL. I'm also older than the average applicant and feel one year is such a long time to have to wait.

I don't have any specific questions to ask, but just wanted to share post-refusal thoughts. There are many strong, perseverant individuals on this forum and I'm hoping to gain strength from your experiences. Any advice on how others dealt with rejections and moved forward would be very much appreciated.

You are not alone! at this level everybody who interviews is pretty fantastic, with amazing GPA's ECA's work experience, so don't be too hard on yourself, you have what it takes, now it just perfecting the interview, I interviewed last year, and got rejected and ranked about 140/300, however last year I didn't really prepare a lot, I researched the interview format, read a few books, but I was out of the country doing a research exchange, I have a lower gpa too 3.66 ( but as its a professional degree and I also have a master's I was evaluated at 3.84 but my prerequisites are low - like 3.2/4 so they lowered me about 50 points last year because you get sent your rankings based on your prerequisites, and your MMI score, and then your final position) I was lucky enough to receive an interview this year - if you got an interview this year high chance of getting one next year - and I trained 3-4 times a week for like 1-2 hours, also met with residents, people who got in, read lots of forums, practiced with friends, so receiving a rejection this year is hard. I have friends who are interviewing their third time this year who did not make it in, and friends who are interviewing for second time also did not make it in, whose gpa are higher then mine and whose prerequisites are higher too. I think the best thing to do is also meet with someone whose gone through the rejection proces before last year It really helped me a lot! I was able to gain motivation to re-apply and I got lots of encouragement this year from all of them which really helped. You can just continue improving, I know with every year you will only get better as an applicant, I would be happy to meet you as well for moral support as I know how hard the process is emotionally, I think this year I'm coping with it better, I made Plan B's and have two jobs lined up already that I was going to take if this did not work out and wait to see what your ranking is , a lot of it is also luck too, and McGill looks for diversity so people from different backgrounds ( social workers, phsycologists, engineers etc) so don't give up! you are an amazing person, you will make it in one day, it takes sometimes 3-4 attempts, and If your in montreal I am happy to meet up with you just PM me :) 

I'm there too. Quite frankly, I'm crushed. I felt the interview went well and I was sure I'd at least place on the WL. The outright refusal definitely has a sting to it. I know I'm in good company though with many other strong and determined candidates. Let's just give ourselves a moment to feel bad, then pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and not give up. 

You are not alone! When I saw the result, even if I was semi-expecting it, it was still devastating. The idea of not reapplying again crossed my mind, but there is something at the back of my head telling me that I will regret not trying again. One year might seen long right now, but if medicine is what you want to do, you will not regret it as it will become your full time job for the next 30 years or so. I think that 3.7 is quite good for cGPA and you have advantage of having more life experience :) so don't give up! 

15 minutes ago, spero said:

As spero said, let's just give ourselves a moment to feel bad, then pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and not give up. 

Keep your head up everyone. I was rejected the first time I interviewed as well and the second time I interviewed the previous experience made a HUGE difference. The interview felt like I was reading the matrix as it was happening, and I walked out pretty much certain that I got in and sure enough, I did. Not trying to sound cocky or anything, I'm saying that since you guys have interviewed already, I want you to appreciate how much of an advantage this gives you for the next application cycle. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me and I'd be happy to chat. I know exactly what you guys are going through and it seriously sucks, but this could be a blessing in disguise as it was for me.

I am in the same boat here. I was feeling good right after the interview, but when I started thinking about all the things that I could  have done better... I started expecting a refusal....so, the  last month was emotionally draining. Thank you for this 'support group', I really need it also ! Really don't give up guys, it's just a challenge, and I am sure you will be an amazing doctor, many people got refused and  are accepted in the next year. So, don't let  just an interview be the an obstacle for your dream.  

same here.. 3rd interview and 3rd rejection..

I know people say dont lose hope, but it's so hard to follow that after so many failed attempts. i'm gutted, enraged and feel like this is a big mistake, I really want to show up at the admissions office to ask for an explanation, I just cant wait for June to get a ranking

57 minutes ago, Cardiolove01 said:

You are not alone! at this level everybody who interviews is pretty fantastic, with amazing GPA's ECA's work experience, so don't be too hard on yourself, you have what it takes, now it just perfecting the interview, I interviewed last year, and got rejected and ranked about 140/300, however last year I didn't really prepare a lot, I researched the interview format, read a few books, but I was out of the country doing a research exchange, I have a lower gpa too 3.66 ( but as its a professional degree and I also have a master's I was evaluated at 3.84 but my prerequisites are low - like 3.2/4 so they lowered me about 50 points last year because you get sent your rankings based on your prerequisites, and your MMI score, and then your final position) I was lucky enough to receive an interview this year - if you got an interview this year high chance of getting one next year - and I trained 3-4 times a week for like 1-2 hours, also met with residents, people who got in, read lots of forums, practiced with friends, so receiving a rejection this year is hard. I have friends who are interviewing their third time this year who did not make it in, and friends who are interviewing for second time also did not make it in, whose gpa are higher then mine and whose prerequisites are higher too. I think the best thing to do is also meet with someone whose gone through the rejection proces before last year It really helped me a lot! I was able to gain motivation to re-apply and I got lots of encouragement this year from all of them which really helped. You can just continue improving, I know with every year you will only get better as an applicant, I would be happy to meet you as well for moral support as I know how hard the process is emotionally, I think this year I'm coping with it better, I made Plan B's and have two jobs lined up already that I was going to take if this did not work out and wait to see what your ranking is , a lot of it is also luck too, and McGill looks for diversity so people from different backgrounds ( social workers, phsycologists, engineers etc) so don't give up! you are an amazing person, you will make it in one day, it takes sometimes 3-4 attempts, and If your in montreal I am happy to meet up with you just PM me :) 

How did you find out about your rank?

They will send it to you in May if I recall correctly, last year they sent us 3 emails, the first two were someone elses ranking cause they made mistakes of sending us other peoples ranking twice  and the third email was ours you get something that looks like this - and it gives you a rough idea of how you did, but you won't get more detail then that 

Pre interview
On the academic portion of your application, you ranked 
On the non-academic (CVPN) portion, you ranked 
Your overall rank was 

Post interview:
Ranking:
·         On the science prerequisites, you ranked: 
·         Your MMI performance ranked: 
·         Your final rank: 

15 minutes ago, Cardiolove01 said:

They will send it to you in May if I recall correctly, last year they sent us 3 emails, the first two were someone elses ranking cause they made mistakes of sending us other peoples ranking twice  and the third email was ours you get something that looks like this - and it gives you a rough idea of how you did, but you won't get more detail then that 

Pre interview
On the academic portion of your application, you ranked 
On the non-academic (CVPN) portion, you ranked 
Your overall rank was 

Post interview:
Ranking:
·         On the science prerequisites, you ranked: 
·         Your MMI performance ranked: 
·         Your final rank: 

Oh wow they're quite detailed! Good to find out which part of the application process needs improvement.

3 hours ago, Cardiolove01 said:

Hi cardiolove01,

Thank you for your inspiring words. I'm sorry to hear about the refusal this year as well. It seems that you're doing everything right (in terms of prepping for the interview) and it must be tough. However you're an inspiration to those of us facing our first refusal and not really knowing where to go from here. You seem like an incredible person and I wish you the very best! I'd like to take you up on your offer in a few months - it'd be helpful to process together. Good luck with your jobs!! Thank you again for staying positive and inspiring us to do the same. 

2 hours ago, guest2017 said:

I know people say dont lose hope, but it's so hard to follow that after so many failed attempts. i'm gutted, enraged and feel like this is a big mistake, I really want to show up at the admissions office to ask for an explanation, I just cant wait for June to get a ranking

Sorry to hear about it :( I was rooting for you! Maybe you could get clarification about your pre reqs to ensure things are in order for next year. Stay strong!

2 hours ago, minocha said:

I am in the same boat here. I was feeling good right after the interview, but when I started thinking about all the things that I could  have done better... I started expecting a refusal....so, the  last month was emotionally draining. Thank you for this 'support group', I really need it also ! Really don't give up guys, it's just a challenge, and I am sure you will be an amazing doctor, many people got refused and  are accepted in the next year. So, don't let  just an interview be the an obstacle for your dream.  

2 hours ago, Xin said:

You are not alone! When I saw the result, even if I was semi-expecting it, it was still devastating. The idea of not reapplying again crossed my mind, but there is something at the back of my head telling me that I will regret not trying again. One year might seen long right now, but if medicine is what you want to do, you will not regret it as it will become your full time job for the next 30 years or so. I think that 3.7 is quite good for cGPA and you have advantage of having more life experience :) so don't give up! 

3 hours ago, spero said:

I'm there too. Quite frankly, I'm crushed. I felt the interview went well and I was sure I'd at least place on the WL. The outright refusal definitely has a sting to it. I know I'm in good company though with many other strong and determined candidates. Let's just give ourselves a moment to feel bad, then pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and not give up. 

Thanks everyone! Sorry to hear that you guys didn't get the result you were hoping for :( It seems most of had similar thoughts post interview and post refusal, which is why I'm also grateful for this 'support group.' It's helpful to process it together. We can just hope for the best moving forward, learn from our 'weaker' areas and apply as stronger applicants for next cycle. 'Devastating' is right indeed - I also thought I might get waitlisted but outright rejection did sting! This forum/thread also reminds me of the amazing applicants/people who apply each year but miss out on acceptance (by what I'm sure are minor differences). I know luck plays a huge role and may we all be a little luckier next year :) 

For those of you who have received regrets before, I know how disappointing it can be but I believe in your perseverance. You've done it once, you'll do it again, and you will succeed. I hope that your rankings this year show improvement you are proud of but if not, remember the great caliber of everyone else also.  

For those seeing your post interview ranks for the first time, do not be discouraged if you are in the lower ranks. Rankings do not tell you by how much you have to improve as perhaps everyone is clustered around the same score. Continue to do your best next cycle and you will also be surprised at the advantages of a reapplicant that has gone through a cycle. 

2 hours ago, guest2017 said:

Send me a private message let's chat

From my posts, you will see that I am a realistic person and don't like cheering up.
Let's just say I am conservative with my emotions to be immune to disappointment. 
I am not sure what is the right thing to say at the moment.

Embrace the rejection :
I don't think there is anything that can change what you are feeling.
Probably a mix of nausea, exhaustion and headache.
And maybe, you should take the next days to just relax.
I mean, accept it. Live it. Cry about it. Scream about it.
And finally, forget it. 
Live it fully so that you can move on completely after.

Recognize this :
Recognize that you have been rejected but also recognize that you have been interviewed 3 times.
There must be some pretty damn good potential about you, don't you think?
What are the odds, knowing that getting interviewed once only happens to 10% of applicants?
To get it 3 times, about 10% x 10% x 10% = 0.1% chance.

Remember this :

There's a strange feeling that drives you crazy when you want something and don't get it.
You want it even more. And you start thinking that it will never happen.

For every euphoric person getting accepted, there are a dozen disappointed souls questioning almost everything they have done.
What you did and the perseverance that you have demonstrated have nothing to do with medical school.
They are intrinsic characteristics of your personality and no one can take them away from you.
I'd forgive you for giving up on medical school ; but not for giving up on yourself.

Good luck and don't give up ! :)

28 minutes ago, atreesfouad said:

Refused 2nd year in a row buddy. Remember, there is always someone who has it worse than you do.

3rd year in a row buddy. I must seriously change something about myself or change the way I prepare for the interviews because clearly, it's not working out.

46 minutes ago, Medreamy said:

3rd year in a row buddy. I must seriously change something about myself or change the way I prepare for the interviews because clearly, it's not working out.

It has to be our interviewing skills. I am an IMG and I was applying to residency as well. Despite a fair number of interviews both for med school and residency I somehow managed to land absolutely nothing despite being a strong candidate. That is the only thing I can think of to be the cause of the repeated failures. 

Archived