Premed 101 Forums

Post-Refusal

Just now, Readyforthis2018 said:

Lol this made me smile. I'm hoping I'm reading wrong on Minerva - waiting for the official refusal... but secretly hoping a mistake was made and I actually get admitted ;) 

DON'T WE ALL! 

This is my 5th application, 2nd interview, 2nd straight up refusal post-interview. It happens. It's pretty sad, and you may feel empty, powerless, and feel like you want to cry  - do it if it helps, otherwise just binge watch The Office and focus on what you can do to improve next year :) . Do whatever you can to get through this period, but before you know it, you'll be filling in that excel workbook in September and Ready for Review.

3 minutes ago, atreesfouad said:

It has to be our interviewing skills. I am an IMG and I was applying to residency as well. Despite a fair number of interviews both for med school and residency I somehow managed to land absolutely nothing despite being a strong candidate. That is the only thing I can think of to be the cause of the repeated failures. 

I thought they had closed the 2-yr MDCM-IMG program for this year? Did you apply to the 4-yr MDCM program then?

2 hours ago, HoopDreams said:

From my posts, you will see that I am a realistic person and don't like cheering up.
Let's just say I am conservative with my emotions to be immune to disappointment. 
I am not sure what is the right thing to say at the moment.

Embrace the rejection :
I don't think there is anything that can change what you are feeling.
Probably a mix of nausea, exhaustion and headache.
And maybe, you should take the next days to just relax.
I mean, accept it. Live it. Cry about it. Scream about it.
And finally, forget it. 
Live it fully so that you can move on completely after.

Recognize this :
Recognize that you have been rejected but also recognize that you have been interviewed 3 times.
There must be some pretty damn good potential about you, don't you think?
What are the odds, knowing that getting interviewed once only happens to 10% of applicants?
To get it 3 times, about 10% x 10% x 10% = 0.1% chance.

Remember this :

There's a strange feeling that drives you crazy when you want something and don't get it.
You want it even more. And you start thinking that it will never happen.

For every euphoric person getting accepted, there are a dozen disappointed souls questioning almost everything they have done.
What you did and the perseverance that you have demonstrated have nothing to do with medical school.
They are intrinsic characteristics of your personality and no one can take them away from you.
I'd forgive you for giving up on medical school ; but not for giving up on yourself.

Good luck and don't give up ! :)

wow just wow!

3 hours ago, HoopDreams said:

From my posts, you will see that I am a realistic person and don't like cheering up.
Let's just say I am conservative with my emotions to be immune to disappointment. 

Embrace the rejection :
And finally, forget it. 

Recognize this :
Recognize that you have been rejected but also recognize that you have been interviewed 3 times.
What are the odds, knowing that getting interviewed once only happens to 10% of applicants?

Remember this :

There's a strange feeling that drives you crazy when you want something and don't get it.

For every euphoric person getting accepted, there are a dozen disappointed souls questioning almost everything they have done.
What you did and the perseverance that you have demonstrated have nothing to do with medical school.
They are intrinsic characteristics of your personality and no one can take them away from you.
I'd forgive you for giving up on medical school ; but not for giving up on yourself.

Thank you for this. Congrats on your acceptance this year!!! 

1 hour ago, dreamteam22 said:

DON'T WE ALL! 

This is my 5th application, 2nd interview, 2nd straight up refusal post-interview. It happens. It's pretty sad, and you may feel empty, powerless, and feel like you want to cry  - do it if it helps, otherwise just binge watch The Office and focus on what you can do to improve next year :) . Do whatever you can to get through this period, but before you know it, you'll be filling in that excel workbook in September and Ready for Review.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Just got the refusal email :( I guess it's official now... Sorry to hear about your refusal post-interview 2nd time in a row. I do appreciate your optimism and positivity. 

As someone who has had to apply multiple times to get in, I understand and feel the pain that all of you are feeling. There are tons of people at McGill who have gotten in on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 5th shots with similar number of interviews. Do not give up. 

The ranks will give you a clearer picture about how your performance was evaluated. There is subjectivity in that, but it will provide clues as to what you need to do.

I cannot stress enough the importance of your pre-req GPA. Retake courses if you need to, aim for the highest GPA possible. MMI scores can be relatively homogenous, if they aim for a bell curve that means that a large percentage of those admitted got in by very little, and by the same logic many of you were rejected by very little. The pre-req GPA is the easiest thing to control.

As to the MMI, sit down and think carefully about what happened, about how you came across, about what you would like to have done better, but also what you did well. Before you do that, wait for the emotions to sink in and try to look at things coldly and analytically. Some stations lend themselves particularly well to this type of analysis, others are more subject to interpretation.

Other than that, the process unfortunately involves luck. It's possible that with the same performance, you would've made it last year, or you'll make it next year. Keep that in mind and don't blame too much, but you have no choice to trust the process. 

I've followed the posts a little bit, and I look forward to see a lot of you join the faculty in the upcoming years.

It really stinks. I've been there a few times. But I knew where my heart was, and I worked really hard for what I wanted. In the end, I got in and I was even rewarded with a "way more than I expected scenario".

On 2018-03-26 at 11:17 PM, SunAndMoon said:

As to the MMI, sit down and think carefully about what happened, about how you came across, about what you would like to have done better, but also what you did well. Before you do that, wait for the emotions to sink in and try to look at things coldly and analytically. Some stations lend themselves particularly well to this type of analysis, others are more subject to interpretation.

I agree with SunAndMoon: do think carefully about what happened. I guess doing that was the thing that helped me the most when I didn't get in. You obviously did something right and good during the MMI, only that others did more/better. You know you have a great application package, otherwise, you wouldn't have been invited to the interview. So work on that part of the application process where you can definitely change things so as to have a different outcome next year. 

16 hours ago, HoopDreams said:

Embrace the rejection :
And finally, forget it. 

Recognize this :

Remember this :

Yeah um this was beautiful

They interviewed 54 people OOP. 10 accepted right away, 20+ on the waitlist (I’m guessing around 30). Can’t help but think that this means we were very below average - bottom 25% - and what this interview performance means about the prospect of other future medical schools. :( Thank you for all the kind words and I do feel good about having a shot in the first place... but things seem so impossible looking from here. 

9 minutes ago, senotspets said:

They interviewed 54 people OOP. 10 accepted right away, 20+ on the waitlist (I’m guessing around 30). Can’t help but think that this means we were very below average - bottom 25% - and what this interview performance means about the prospect of other future medical schools. :( Thank you for all the kind words and I do feel good about having a shot in the first place... but things seem so impossible looking from here. 

Your interview score isn't static. You can and will improve. Maybe not this year, or even the year after, but think big picture - you're going to learn from this experience and come back stronger to make a great physician in the future.

It probably wasn't "intended" but resilience and moving on from failure seems built into the process and will probably benefit us all in the future.

16 hours ago, senotspets said:

If you're interviewing OOP (especially at McGill), think about the caliber of students you're up against - this is much stiffer competition than IP streams anywhere else.

2 hours ago, kleck096 said:

If you're interviewing OOP (especially at McGill), think about the caliber of students you're up against - this is much stiffer competition than IP streams anywhere else.

Honestly.. to get an OOP spot at McGill is like winning the lottery. I am exaggerating, but it is probably the worst odds in all admission categories across all Canadian schools.

5 minutes ago, guest2017 said:

We understand that you may be disappointed in this outcome. McGill's Faculty of Medicine will disclose, upon email request, individual rankings for your applicant category up until the beginning of September of this Fall 2018

anyone get their ranking?

I'm curious about pre-interview rejection rankings. Does anyone know if those can be obtained?

49 minutes ago, guest2017 said:

We understand that you may be disappointed in this outcome. McGill's Faculty of Medicine will disclose, upon email request, individual rankings for your applicant category up until the beginning of September of this Fall 2018

Is this for post interview? Those will be emailed in Mayish after all results are out. 

43 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

I'm curious about pre-interview rejection rankings. Does anyone know if those can be obtained?

I saw on the site under Decisions that pre interview rankings can be given upon email requests, which I found surprising. You can give it a shot!

13 hours ago, guest2017 said:

No response yet :( 

Would they include pre interview ranking as well (even if you did get an interview)? 

20 hours ago, guest2017 said:

I sent my request for ranking on the day I received my refusal. But no reply yet? Have you guys received your rankings?

7 hours ago, Readyforthis2018 said:

No response yet :( 

Would they include pre interview ranking as well (even if you did get an interview)? 

Your ranking will include a preinterview ranking, a prereq ranking, a interview ranking, and final ranking

4 minutes ago, cristinayang said:

I sent my request for ranking on the day I received my refusal. But no reply yet? Have you guys received your rankings?

You'll receive the actual rankings in Mayish, but the acknowledgment of your email might be delayed if the admin is busy. Last year I think everyone ended up getting their rankings even if they didn't request for it so I wouldn't worry that you had no response yet

15 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

Your ranking will include a preinterview ranking, a prereq ranking, a interview ranking, and final ranking

You'll receive the actual rankings in Mayish, but the acknowledgment of your email might be delayed if the admin is busy. Last year I think everyone ended up getting their rankings even if they didn't request for it so I wouldn't worry that you had no response yet

Thank you for the clarification!

Archived