Premed 101 Forums

11 minutes ago, Lactic Folly said:

Yes, never answer a question that is directed towards someone else. The more grey zone is what to do with questions that are asked to the entire group - you can see quite a range of behaviours among students in this instance.

I would always answer those lol  sometimes I’d wait a minute to see if a resident would, but sometimes not  

i never had it go badly for me but psychiatry is chill. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everything people have said. I was advised to always be on time and I recall being shocked anyone would dare be late without a good reason but I've unfortunately seen it many times. I've also worked with students who are very clearly disinterested and on their phone while the rest of the team is working which doesn't paint a good picture. I've also worked with students going for an entirely different specialty but quite hard working and actually making it easier for me to run the day despite their primary interest being in a different specialty and I highly valued their work ethic in that situation. I would say, as much as possible try to work and care and emulate residents and things will be well. Even if you're interested in specialty x you're not a resident in specialty x yet and have a duty to perform to fulfill your role as a junior trainee who is meant to be a part of a team in different services over your clerkship year. Professionalism, interest, taking on work and not being obviously work averse are all strong components of being a well perceived CC3. 

Make sure you show up early, don't complain about how long you are staying, how tired you are (you should complain about inappropriate behavior or lapse in professionalism), and are nice to everyone including allied health. Show some interest even if it is not your desired specialty, because it may be your last time doing that specialty ever. 

You will be a great clerk if you can do those. You would be surprised at how many people don't do these things. 

Archived