Premed 101 Forums

Insight on GPA / application

Hello everyone!

Just a quick question. I understand that this may not be possible, however if one has a 3.04 cgpa (undergrad) and a high CARS score, and possibly aces the casper. Will the chances be fairly decent? I've seen posts about people getting invites with 3.3's . Any help would be lovely. Thank you anyone who replies! 

Hello dreamer98,

This past cycle there was 6 people who got into McMaster with an average of 3.0-3.5. that is 6/206 and most of them were probably closer to the 3.5 end of that scale with years of experience in healthcare. I know people with 131 CARS and 4.0 averages who did not get any mac interviews. While your chances are never 0, I think it is very important that you don't have any false hopes. If I were you I would start another undergrad and try to still ace everything else. Maybe focus on medical schools that look at most recent/best 2 years like queens and western. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. 

Hi OP, 

Of course there is always a chance. However i wouldn't bet on it. Like @Distancea said, maybe look at med schools that have a 2 year policy. If you till struggle with that then you could look into westerns conditional policy, with this they actually only look at one year when giving you an interview offer and then look  the year you applied for the offer of admission, to make sure you met the cut offs (sorry for the confusion, but definitely take a look at the website!) - and any past years don't impact your application!

I understand that this is stressful, but in the end of the day it is important to know that there is still a chance even if its still at only one school! :) Good luck! - message me if you have any other questions!

Being realistic, a 3.0 cGPA is not viable for an interview at any Canadian Medical school.   In most similar  '101 threads, the suggestion is to pursue a 2nd undergrad to renew / improve GPA.   If you have a +3.8 GPA in years 3&4 you may have options with weighted GPA schools like Western/Queens.

Unfortunately, probably not.  I was going to get into a whole post about the math of it, but the crux is that a 3.3 is *very* different from a 3.0 when you're doing z-scores for GPA.  Realistically, you'll be the last ranked applicant on GPA, and even being perfect on the other 2/3rds of the application isn't going to be enough to overcome that.  You're trying to top 90% of the applicants while only having access to 66% of the points. 

On 4/3/2018 at 8:53 PM, mkd said:

Hi OP, 

Of course there is always a chance. However i wouldn't bet on it. Like @Distancea said, maybe look at med schools that have a 2 year policy. If you till struggle with that then you could look into westerns conditional policy, with this they actually only look at one year when giving you an interview offer and then look  the year you applied for the offer of admission, to make sure you met the cut offs (sorry for the confusion, but definitely take a look at the website!) - and any past years don't impact your application!

I understand that this is stressful, but in the end of the day it is important to know that there is still a chance even if its still at only one school! :) Good luck! - message me if you have any other questions!

Hello :D What is this conditional policy you speak of :eek::eek::eek: 

Never heard of it! 

20 minutes ago, needsomeguidance said:

Hello :D What is this conditional policy you speak of :eek::eek::eek: 

Never heard of it! 

Basically if you get an acceptance it's on the condition that your current year marks are of an adequate level once the term is over, since those marks weren't available when you submitted your application

1 hour ago, needsomeguidance said:

I did some searching and it seems like it only applies to people with 3/5ths 300 level courses or something...guess it wouldn't apply to me then :( but thanks!!

Oh yes I thought you had met that criteria since the 3/5 rule applies to all the GPA calculation methods 

Archived