Premed 101 Forums

Quebec: Doing Prerequisites in University vs Cegep?

I'm currently a first-year student at Concordia University in Montreal, and am looking to satisfy the Biology II w/ Lab during my second year. (Just finished BIOLOGY 1)

However, at Concordia, there is no General Biology 2 course w/ Lab, instead, there are 2 separate lecture courses (BIOL 225 and BIOL 226 without labs) that are mandatory prerequisites for a full-on Lab Course (BIOL 227). Essentially, I have to take 9 Credits worth of courses (3 separate classes) to satisfy 1 year of Biology w/lab requirement of Med school. 

Would it be possible to take Biology 2 w/ Lab in Cegep and have it satisfy my pre requisite for Med School admissions? Also, would courses completed in Cegep be valid for applications outside of Canada? If I were to apply to some American M.D schools for instance, could I show my transcript for a Biology 2 course taken in a CEGEP and have it count?

Another alternative I know of is to take BIOLOGY 2 while at Mcgill using the Quebec-University transfer class system, but BIOL 112 (Biology 2 w/lab ) at Mcgill appears to cover some topics that I've already been tested on in BIOL 201 at Concordia. 

Sorry if this post seems convoluted, any advice/insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Hey,

I did all my biol 225 + 226 + 227 during my B.Sc. at Concordia, but I did phys 206 + 226 at Cegep (203-NYC-05) over a summer while I was already in Concordia, which is a prereq for medicine, and it was fine. This worked even for US MD schools, so Cegep courses should be fine for prereqs, although they are not evaluated by AMCAS.

I wonder though, if you are year 1 at Concordia, are you in a bio program? You would then have to take all those bio courses either way, unless things have changed.

17 hours ago, YLA007 said:

Hey,

I did all my biol 225 + 226 + 227 during my B.Sc. at Concordia, but I did phys 206 + 226 at Cegep (203-NYC-05) over a summer while I was already in Concordia, which is a prereq for medicine, and it was fine. This worked even for US MD schools, so Cegep courses should be fine for prereqs, although they are not evaluated by AMCAS.

I wonder though, if you are year 1 at Concordia, are you in a bio program? You would then have to take all those bio courses either way, unless things have changed.

My Major is actually Film Studies, I'm doing all the pre requisites as electives. I just finished the Math Sequence (Finished up Calculus) and am looking to finish Chemistry and Biology Sequence my second year, with the Physics and Organic (Semester of Biochem) during my Last Year. 

9 hours ago, Great_Wumbo said:

My Major is actually Film Studies, I'm doing all the pre requisites as electives. I just finished the Math Sequence (Finished up Calculus) and am looking to finish Chemistry and Biology Sequence my second year, with the Physics and Organic (Semester of Biochem) during my Last Year. 

I see. I will strongly recommend doing physics at a Cegep over the summer. The intro phys courses are not well structured at Concordia, and they are quite difficult to do well in. If you do them at Dawson or Vanier etc., it will be much easier, include the lab in the course, give you the prereq you need for med, save you a potential drop in gpa, and save much frustration keeping up with a bad course. Best of luck!

14 hours ago, YLA007 said:

I see. I will strongly recommend doing physics at a Cegep over the summer. The intro phys courses are not well structured at Concordia, and they are quite difficult to do well in. If you do them at Dawson or Vanier etc., it will be much easier, include the lab in the course, give you the prereq you need for med, save you a potential drop in gpa, and save much frustration keeping up with a bad course. Best of luck!

Thank you for the advice! However, I am looking to apply to US MD and DO schools as well, and I was told that Prerequisites done in CEGEP are not evaluated by AMCAS or something.. What does this mean? Can I finish Physics 1-2 and Biology 2 at a Cegep like Vanier/Dawson and then still apply across Canada and the U.S?

1 hour ago, Great_Wumbo said:

Thank you for the advice! However, I am looking to apply to US MD and DO schools as well, and I was told that Prerequisites done in CEGEP are not evaluated by AMCAS or something.. What does this mean? Can I finish Physics 1-2 and Biology 2 at a Cegep like Vanier/Dawson and then still apply across Canada and the U.S?

Yes. That's what I did. I did 203-NYC-05 at Dawson, and was accepted to US MD schools. It wasn't even an issue.

AMCAS will not evaluate the grades, nor will they require a transcript, but you will enter the grades in AMCAS anyhow and they will appear as un-verified grades, just to show that you have completed the prereqs.

EDIT: You may want to ask the individual US schools, perhaps it differs.

• 3 years later...
On 4/5/2018 at 5:57 PM, YLA007 said:

Yes. That's what I did. I did 203-NYC-05 at Dawson, and was accepted to US MD schools. It wasn't even an issue.

AMCAS will not evaluate the grades, nor will they require a transcript, but you will enter the grades in AMCAS anyhow and they will appear as un-verified grades, just to show that you have completed the prereqs.

EDIT: You may want to ask the individual US schools, perhaps it differs.

Hi, do you know if English classes taken at a CEGEP counts as university-level English composition classes that are prerequisites for med schools in the u.s? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 8:54 PM, wnffl said:

Hi, do you know if English classes taken at a CEGEP counts as university-level English composition classes that are prerequisites for med schools in the u.s? 

I do not know, sorry I couldn't help. I suggest emailing and asking the offices of the US schools you have in mind.

Best of luck!