Premed 101 Forums

Offers compared to number of seats at each school (wait-list movement)

I'm sure many of you have seen this already (especially if you are stats obsessed like me) but this table gives you an idea of the expected wait-list movement at each medical school (except Toronto). You can check out how many offers are sent out and compare it to the final class size at each school. 

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/CMES2017-Section8-Applicants.pdf

Waitlist Movement.JPG

Thank you for posting this information! It's interesting to see the comparison between the movement in multi-school provinces (eg. Ontario, Alberta, etc.) compared to single-school provinces like BC and MB. It makes sense that waitlist movement would be greater in provinces where students are more likely to receive multiple offers, but the difference between # offers - seats filled (eg. uOttawa's ~93 person difference vs. UBC's ~26 person) can be pretty large. 

5 minutes ago, markup said:

Thank you for posting this information! It's interesting to see the comparison between the movement in multi-school provinces (eg. Ontario, Alberta, etc.) compared to single-school provinces like BC and MB. It makes sense that waitlist movement would be greater in provinces where students are more likely to receive multiple offers, but the difference between # offers - seats filled (eg. uOttawa's ~93 person difference vs. UBC's ~26 person) can be pretty large. 

You forgot to mention the French schools - their waitlist movement is the size of another class!

It would be so nice if we knew how many people were interviewed at each school and if this data had IP/OOP categories, but it does clarify some things.

UBC's documents are great for this (http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2017/12/Interim-Statistics-2017-18-MED-2022-FINAL.pdfhttp://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2017/10/FINAL-MED-2021-Admissions-Statistics-website.pdf)

All that I'm aware of is:

McMaster interviewed ~550 people this year, so if the total number accepted remains the same, that comes out to ~60% post-interview acceptance rate.

UBC interviewed ~655 people this year, so that gives a total post-interview acceptance rate of 331/655=51%, but for IP the acceptance rate is 278/574=48% and the OOP acceptance rate 53/81=65% (although the year prior it was 46/81=57%)

Does anyone have interview numbers for any other schools? 

EDIT: also the UBC number of accepted individuals last year on their document doesn't agree with the number on this document, so I don't know which is right.

16 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

You forgot to mention the French schools - their waitlist movement is the size of another class!

Wow! I wonder why that is? Perhaps students are interviewed and offered admission for multiple schools? It would be cool to have more information about the number of unique individuals and how much overlap between offers from multiple schools there are. 

15 minutes ago, heyhellohi said:

Unless some people who applied to U of C this year also defer. 

Also depends on whether the deferred ones were IP or OOP. Chances are some are IP and some OOP. Or if you’re lucky, mostly IP or OOP depending one whichever stream you’re in. Either way, no way to predict this process :D 

3 hours ago, Me11y said:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but doesn't that mean that in LAST cycle, 19 of the spots were people who had deferred from the year before?

I think that’s the case. If you look at the # admitted in Year 1 it’s 140, so the other 19 were people that had deferred their acceptance the year before. 

Archived