Premed 101 Forums

Ophtho research opportunity

anesthete

Hello

I have a research opportunity for a first yr medical student. I have conducted a systematic review, with a poster that has been accepted a major ophtho conference in Toronto in May of this year. I am curious to know if anybody would be willing to help with designing the poster, (ie, mostly aesthetic / synthesizing / organizing info that is readily available from the paper that was written), as well as attending the conference to set it up / take it down.

The lead investigators would go through the basics of the systematic review so you are familiar with it. Your name would be acknowledged as third author for your help.

PM for details if interested.

Based on what you are describing, this assistance should not meet criteria for authorship based on ICMJE point #1 (and point #2) below. Really, you are just asking for 2-3 hours of work to put together a poster and having a lackey carry around the awkward poster tube. For shame.

The ICMJE recommends that authorship be based on the following 4 criteria:

• Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
  • Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
  • Final approval of the version to be published; AND
  • Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.

Just as a curiosity, are the abstracts published? If it has already been accepted, I don't think you're able ensure this person would receive the proper credit for their contributions as being acknowledged officially as an author. Just being on the poster means nothing if it isn't corroborated in the conference proceedings and/or published version. 

Archived