Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

3.75 GPA 3rd year; second degree or fifth year?


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

Have been a lurker for quite sometime :) and really need advice for future steps. 

I am currently in 3rd year with a cGPA of 3.74, with this year sitting around a 3.9. I have pass/fail courses in my program so that kind of ruins me for UofT weighting, but thats about it. I am certain I can finish 4th year with a 3.95+ as well. 

Therefore IF I finish my 4th year with 4.0 my cGPA will sit around a 3.83 and with a 5th year (if 4.0) then that would put me around a 3.86. Therefore my question being should I finish my degree at 4th year and then pursue a second degree? or is a cGPA of 3.86 competitive enough for Ontario medical schools?

I know a 4.0 in the 2 years is a stretch but I can certain I can do well; also I have not yet written the MCAT. 

Thanks for all your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, 

I am in a similar position, and I think that in your case I would say to definitely do a fifth year, because I think that a 3.86 GPA (if you can get it) and with a killer 2Y wGPA would make you competitive. I am not sure what everyone else thinks.

Also a strong MCAT would help your chances and you should definitely write it whenever you can!

Best of luck!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, uhmycreativitysucks said:

Hello everyone!

Have been a lurker for quite sometime :) and really need advice for future steps. 

I am currently in 3rd year with a cGPA of 3.74, with this year sitting around a 3.9. I have pass/fail courses in my program so that kind of ruins me for UofT weighting, but thats about it. I am certain I can finish 4th year with a 3.95+ as well. 

Therefore IF I finish my 4th year with 4.0 my cGPA will sit around a 3.83 and with a 5th year (if 4.0) then that would put me around a 3.86. Therefore my question being should I finish my degree at 4th year and then pursue a second degree? or is a cGPA of 3.86 competitive enough for Ontario medical schools?

I know a 4.0 in the 2 years is a stretch but I can certain I can do well; also I have not yet written the MCAT. 

Thanks for all your help!

Are you planning to apply to all the ON schools? If your wGPA is over 3.9 at all the other schools (your cGPA is fine for Mac), I would apply during the summer after 4th year. I don't think you need a 5th year if you have a good mcat, though you can do it if you want if you're not sure what to do for a year post graduation. (For reference, I had 2 ON interviews with a 3.73 cGPA, wGPA around 3.91-3.93 depending on the school). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, m_jacob_45 said:

Are you planning to apply to all the ON schools? If your wGPA is over 3.9 at all the other schools (your cGPA is fine for Mac), I would apply during the summer after 4th year. I don't think you need a 5th year if you have a good mcat, though you can do it if you want if you're not sure what to do for a year post graduation. (For reference, I had 2 ON interviews with a 3.73 cGPA, wGPA around 3.91-3.93 depending on the school). 

Yes I want to apply as broadly as I can! My goal is to get into medical school, it doesn't matter which one (as long as in Ontario at-least)! Gotta take what you got! & I think I will continue and finish this degree strong and apply after my fourth year and maybe do fifth. Hopefully will write the MCAT this year, do you guys have any specific strategies for CARS? (I've heard many people think this is the hardest to improve on).

Thanks for all your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, uhmycreativitysucks said:

Hello everyone!

Have been a lurker for quite sometime :) and really need advice for future steps. 

I am currently in 3rd year with a cGPA of 3.74, with this year sitting around a 3.9. I have pass/fail courses in my program so that kind of ruins me for UofT weighting, but thats about it. I am certain I can finish 4th year with a 3.95+ as well. 

Therefore IF I finish my 4th year with 4.0 my cGPA will sit around a 3.83 and with a 5th year (if 4.0) then that would put me around a 3.86. Therefore my question being should I finish my degree at 4th year and then pursue a second degree? or is a cGPA of 3.86 competitive enough for Ontario medical schools?

I know a 4.0 in the 2 years is a stretch but I can certain I can do well; also I have not yet written the MCAT. 

Thanks for all your help!

you definitely don't need a second degree. I think Queens is best 2 years, Western last 2 yrs, you'd meet GPA for both. You are competitive for Mac. You may be competitive for Ottawa. Without weighting UT is hard but because you are competitive for 4 Ont Schools you will be fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Edict said:

you definitely don't need a second degree. I think Queens is best 2 years, Western last 2 yrs, you'd meet GPA for both. You are competitive for Mac. You may be competitive for Ottawa. Without weighting UT is hard but because you are competitive for 4 Ont Schools you will be fine. 

 

7 hours ago, Persephone said:

I have a 3.85 GPA, 3.92 2 year GPA, got 4 interviews this year. As long as the rest of your application is competitive, you should be okay! (Hopefully one of my 4 interviews translates into an acceptance lol)

Okay guys! Thanks a lot for your responses. I will stick with my program and finish it strong! Also got to write the MCAT now! hehe
and @Persephone you gots this my dude, best of luck! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...