Premed 101 Forums

Let's chat: your opinion on pot legalization in canada please!

Calopee

• 3 weeks later...

I think that pot should be legalized everywhere in Canada and be available to age 18 and up. I think that there should be stricter alcohol and tobacco laws because they kill people and ruin families. I think there should be strict laws on driving high but otherwise there should be access to pot. Pot helps so many people young and old with issues whether physical or mental and I think that having them sell it legally will prevent young kids from getting pot that’s laced and stuff. In order to prevent kids from buying weed “illegally” weed should be more accessible at shops and be cheaper as well so it doesn’t scare people away. If they keep pot illegal people will just keep finding ways to get it and people will get hurt. 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the consequence of the criminalization of pot is much greater than the consequence of using/selling pot. Criminalizing pot also costs valuable resources on policing, court systems, etc. which will have a trickle down effect on other more dangerous issues. Decriminalizing pot would hopefully increase quality control as mentioned above. Some cons are that we don't completely know the health consequences particularly on the developing brain, impairs cognition which will require well structured policies and laws re: usage. Personally, I work with youth whose lifestyles heavily include smoking pot and I think it can contribute to a lot of the behavioural issues I observe since they use it in excess; however, it does have vast benefits for others and criminalizing it would be much worse for one's future. 

I think there needs to be more research on what it actually does to your health long-term.

My psych profs: the research shows heavy marijuana use when young can bring on psychosis if the genetic predisposition is there
Facebook: marijuana cures cancer, gets rid of acne, promotes hair growth.... lol

I think the government has a lot of work to do with regards to educating the public on its safe usage and sorting out the facts

• 1 month later...

Regardless of the long term health issues, what makes a difference?

Lets assume its 'bad' for your health in the long run; so is alcohol. I agree more research needs to be done in this area, but only so there is full public disclosure. People know alcohol is quite taxing on the body if used excessively but people still drink it, often.

Thoughts? I am trying to form a well rounded opinion on this issue...

ps, I am not a pot-smoker at all.

On 7/3/2018 at 6:27 AM, OBoyMD said:

Regardless of the long term health issues, what makes a difference?

Lets assume its 'bad' for your health in the long run; so is alcohol. I agree more research needs to be done in this area, but only so there is full public disclosure. People know alcohol is quite taxing on the body if used excessively but people still drink it, often.

Thoughts? I am trying to form a well rounded opinion on this issue...

ps, I am not a pot-smoker at all.

You touch on an important point in that excessive substance use can often be intertwined with mental health, addictions and trauma. Everyone knows that alcohol is dangerous in excess yet it's still the leading cause of substance use illness/death in Canada. I firmly believe it's because the problem is not the substance. It's a human issue. So in regards to the legalization of marijuana, I think there needs to be a public health focus to invest more into mental health services, trauma-informed care, rehabilitation, counselling and more social services so that we can prevent people from using marijuana as a coping mechanism, often in excess. Research on marijuana is definitely important but it shouldn't outweigh our focus on the person as I think the root cause of any excessive substance use is not the substance.

In summary, an increased focus and investment into social/mental health services are going to be critical when marijuana becomes legalized.

17 hours ago, brockboeser6 said:

You touch on an important point in that excessive substance use can often be intertwined with mental health, addictions and trauma. Everyone knows that alcohol is dangerous in excess yet it's still the leading cause of substance use illness/death in Canada. I firmly believe it's because the problem is not the substance. It's a human issue. So in regards to the legalization of marijuana, I think there needs to be a public health focus to invest more into mental health services, trauma-informed care, rehabilitation, counselling and more social services so that we can prevent people from using marijuana as a coping mechanism, often in excess. Research on marijuana is definitely important but it shouldn't outweigh our focus on the person as I think the root cause of any excessive substance use is not the substance.

In summary, an increased focus and investment into social/mental health services are going to be critical when marijuana becomes legalized.

Couldn't agree more!

Archived