Premed 101 Forums

Another "what are my chances?" thread

MUN is another school you should definitely take a look at applying to. Remember, there are 10 seats there for NB residents as well.

Your experiences seem pretty varied and interesting. Progressing to leadership roles is also something that looks good. Those life experiences are things that can definitely make you stand out from the pack too  

All the best, PM me if you’ve got any questions!

2 hours ago, MTHFR677 said:

MUN is another school you should definitely take a look at applying to. Remember, there are 10 seats there for NB residents as well.

Your experiences seem pretty varied and interesting. Progressing to leadership roles is also something that looks good. Those life experiences are things that can definitely make you stand out from the pack too  

All the best, PM me if you’ve got any questions!

I looked into MUN but I don't think I qualify because I didn't take any English in university. The 6 credit requirement seems pretty arbitrary.  I consider myself fairly well read, and I took AP English back in high school for whatever that's worth. 

14 minutes ago, Colour_A said:

I looked into MUN but I don't think I qualify because I didn't take any English in university. The 6 credit requirement seems pretty arbitrary.  I consider myself fairly well read, and I took AP English back in high school for whatever that's worth. 

You are just in luck because they are dropping English for the 18/19 cycle :)

With your GPA, scoring in the 510s you'll get an interview if you meet the Casper cutoff. As mentioned, it depends largely on the interview after that. 

Since the application isn't for another couple months, can you start some volunteer stuff? Having at least something is better than nothing in terms of volunteer experience! 

Good luck with your application! 

1 hour ago, Colour_A said:

I looked at the supplemental form and noticed this, it's definitely my biggest weakness.  It's 30 points for the whole thing and there's four sections - do you think that means it's 7.5 pts per section, or would they be weighted differently?  What kind of score is competitive is general? For New Brunswick residents?  I feel like it'd be kind of disingenuous to start volunteering a couple of months before the application.

Edit: looking at it again the 30 points also includes the essay.

For the record I believe that in the last cycle the number of qualified NB applicants that were offered an interview (met gpa, mcat and casper requirements) was less than the number of seats reserved for NB applicants. So essentially if you then meet the minimum required score on the Supplemental and MMI which I think are something like 18/35 and 24/40 respectively then you were accepted. So the overall competition for NB is extremely low. They accepted more OOP applicants this year because of that I believe.

21 hours ago, Rahvin13 said:

For the record I believe that in the last cycle the number of qualified NB applicants that were offered an interview (met gpa, mcat and casper requirements) was less than the number of seats reserved for NB applicants. So essentially if you then meet the minimum required score on the Supplemental and MMI which I think are something like 18/35 and 24/40 respectively then you were accepted. So the overall competition for NB is extremely low. They accepted more OOP applicants this year because of that I believe.

While this is true, I wouldn't bank on it happening again. Generally, there is less competition in NB than say the NS/OOP pool, but with the exception of this past cycle I wouldn't really classify it as "extremely low". 

23 hours ago, Colour_A said:

I looked at the supplemental form and noticed this, it's definitely my biggest weakness.  It's 30 points for the whole thing and there's four sections - do you think that means it's 7.5 pts per section, or would they be weighted differently?  What kind of score is competitive is general? For New Brunswick residents?  I feel like it'd be kind of disingenuous to start volunteering a couple of months before the application.

Edit: looking at it again the 30 points also includes the essay.

I believe each section on the supplemental is worth 5 points total. I suppose it's up to you to decide if you want to start volunteering. Keep in mind though, the decision to accept an applicant is based on z-scores that we never see, not just your score out of 100. You might think that missing only 5/100 points seems insignificant, but do you really want to chance it? Most applicants do have at least some volunteer experience, so I personally think going in with nothing would look just as bad, if not worse, than starting it now.  

1 hour ago, Chels1267 said:

While this is true, I wouldn't bank on it happening again. Generally, there is less competition in NB than say the NS/OOP pool, but with the exception of this past cycle I wouldn't really classify it as "extremely low". 

I very much second this. It has been strongly suggested that the number of NB applicants was low this year because of the introduction of the Casper requirement. That could mean many people did poor, or many people didn't write at the required time. 

Regardless, since this will be the 2nd year, I imagine that will improve and competition will resume normal levels. 

As for the volunteering, something is far better than nothing and just not starting now because it may not help is a poor idea. Anything is better than nothing and if you dont get in this cycle at least you'll have something longer term for next time. You still need to show you care about your community. 

1 minute ago, Colour_A said:

From the Dal website it says:

I may be misinterpreting this, but for a normal distribution the probability of doing better than 1.5 sigma below the mean is over 90%. Surely this isn't filtering out too many applicants? 

Honestly I'm not too sure. I dont have hard facts, just that it was strongly suggested that the new Casper requirement was the reason for a lower number of qualified NB applicants. To my knowledge we have not been told any more than that. 

Do they use the mean for your province though or the overall CASPer mean? It's possible just a disproportionate number of NB students were below the mean, maybe we just have really bad personalities haha

I was in a similar boat! I had a few volunteer commitments but there was nothing special in there. No idea if this helped at all but I did start one commitment the summer before just to add something. Honestly it's definitely worth a try, it definitely doesn't mean you automatically won't get in! The interview counts for a lot and who knows how competitive it will be next year. And yes definitely apply to MUN too! I didn't apply to out of province schools but I think it's worth a shot; I didn't bother for this year because applying and getting to interviews would be really expensive but it's worth a try especially if you're still in Montreal.

I also think the low number of applicants was probably due to Casper. Like the year before when they required the new MCAT, they had record low number of applications. Of course writing the Casper is nothing like preparing for the MCAT but people still need to adjust to new requirements 

3 hours ago, Chels1267 said:

I agree that it probably won’t happen again and that last year was an extreme, but if you look at the 2017 and 2016 entry years there were only 63 and 69 applicants interviewed from NB. That’s over 40% base post interview acceptance in a “normal” year and when you consider that a number of those interviewed would probably have gotten a MUN interview/acceptance and went there instead, got accepted other OOP and went there or simply didn’t meet the other minimums then I’d say those are really really good odds. 

1 hour ago, Rahvin13 said:

I agree that it probably won’t happen again and that last year was an extreme, but if you look at the 2017 and 2016 entry years there were only 63 and 69 applicants interviewed from NB. That’s over 40% base post interview acceptance in a “normal” year and when you consider that a number of those interviewed would probably have gotten a MUN interview/acceptance and went there instead, got accepted other OOP and went there or simply didn’t meet the other minimums then I’d say those are really really good odds. 

Definitely better odds than the other applicant pools for sure.

1 hour ago, Eudaimonia said:

I also think the low number of applicants was probably due to Casper. Like the year before when they required the new MCAT, they had record low number of applications. Of course writing the Casper is nothing like preparing for the MCAT but people still need to adjust to new requirements 

I think the significance was that CASPer can only be done once per year, so if you wanted to try for Dal you had to do it in August whereas you could wait until October for other Canadian med schools. Just a busy time of year for people I guess.

8 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

Definitely better odds than the other applicant pools for sure.

1 hour ago, Rahvin13 said:

I agree, it's already great when you're considered IP at two schools, and this year the chances were so good that there were more seats than qualified applicants! 

Archived