Premed 101 Forums

Masters GPA

Hi everyone,

I am an Alberta resident. I have a 3.51 undergrad GPA and a 3.3 MSc GPA. As you can see if med schools count MSc GPA as a full-year equivalent then my GPA gets bumped down to 3.4. That really breaks my heart as grad courses are significantly harder than undergrad courses. 

I was just wondering what med schools do NOT include grad school GPA. I know UofC includes it but UofA doesn't. Would I be competitive for any med school in Canada with a 510+ MCAT, 4000+ work experience hours and 2000+ volunteer hours? I'm not very familiar with schools that would give me a chance with such low GPA? 

Dalhousie doesn't need to consider your MSc GPA. You need to pass the cutoff to get an interview and then it will be scored with your MCAT as 15% of your final score. 

McGill only uses your BSc, although it's assessed competitively both pre (70%) and post interview (20%).

I don't think most of Ontario schools use your grad GPA either but I could be wrong

On 4/24/2018 at 4:31 PM, Eudaimonia said:

Dalhousie doesn't need to consider your MSc GPA. You need to pass the cutoff to get an interview and then it will be scored with your MCAT as 15% of your final score. 

McGill only uses your BSc, although it's assessed competitively both pre (70%) and post interview (20%).

I don't think most of Ontario schools use your grad GPA either but I could be wrong

My 3.5 is probably not competitive at all as an OOP applicant for Ontario schools. 

28 minutes ago, Hopelessmed said:

My 3.5 is probably not competitive at all as an OOP applicant for Ontario schools. 

Yeah sorry, I just answered your question to the point but sadly you're right, the cutoff is 3.7 for OOP at Dal. Since you're a graduate student, your cutoff at UofT would be 3.0, but UofT is a school that's pretty GPA eccentric so it would be fierce competition. Most Ontario schools don't distinguish IP/OOP so you could look into them; I'm not sure if they'll factor in your graduate degree, but honestly a 3.5 is going to be a challenge even if you do meet the cutoff. However I don't think it is impossible if you look at stats around the forum. Evaluate if your application is worth a shot and good luck

Archived