Premed 101 Forums

UWO schulich dentistry 2018 accepted/rejected/waitlist

2 hours ago, OVO-XO said:

Although the email will not say directly if you are high/mid/low on the waitlist, the wording of the response may provide some indication as to where you rank on the WL. From last years thread, it was reported that:

High
"In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

Normal
"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List."

Low
"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission. While there are no certainties, we wanted to communicate this information to you in an attempt to allow you to be as informed as possible in making decisions about your future."

Best of luck!

Has the “high” waitlist rank always fully cleared in the past years ? Does anyone know how many people are in that rank ? 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, winner1 said:

Has the “high” waitlist rank always fully cleared in the past years ? Does anyone know how many people are in that rank ? 

It did not clear last year and our best guess is that there are 20-25 people in HWL, and 15-16 people got in from that last year. The number of people on HWL could change this year so there could be more or less in that category.

Congratulations to everyone accepted - one of the users here also received good news last year and was so ecstatic to the point of being "very sweaty" (you know who you are) ;) . It's a surreal feeling that you will never forget! Welcome to the wonderful profession of dentistry. 

I have a few buddies waitlisted and I know it sucks. You are honestly so close and at the interview stage, there is a bit of luck involved. Some of the advice I gave my friends included: 1) taking the day off to chill (feel unhappy/sad and get it out of your system, you need some time to unwind a bit), 2) expect nothing and hope for the best (if the waitlist gets to you awesome but don't expect it to... treat it as a pleasant surprise), and 3) have plans for next cycle (will you continue your job? do more volunteering and shadowing? travel, etc.?). You likely did your best in the interview so it may have been the slimmest of margins in terms of being accepted versus waitlisted. Don't be too tough on yourself.

If you have gotten to the interview stage, it means on paper you are qualified to be a dental student. If this was not your year, it will be your year very soon... just brush up on those interview skills and you will receive an offer eventually! Best of luck to fellow waitlisters and to those rejected, keep working on that application and keep trying - you will eventually get there.

6 hours ago, OVO-XO said:

Although the email will not say directly if you are high/mid/low on the waitlist, the wording of the response may provide some indication as to where you rank on the WL. From last years thread, it was reported that:

High
"In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

Normal
"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List."

Low
"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission. While there are no certainties, we wanted to communicate this information to you in an attempt to allow you to be as informed as possible in making decisions about your future."

Best of luck!

Hi OVO-XO, do you mean when you email them they say that or are we supposed to get an email? I haven't received any email :?

EDIT: I'm sorry nvm I just got an email. But no it didn't have any info unfortunately

EDIT2: Haha okay this is so weird but I had to highlight the letter on student centre to see the words. If its like what u say then unfortunately I'm on the normal waitlist "... should any of the selected candidates decline the seat we offered them, replacements will be selected from applicants on the waiting list."

1 hour ago, teeth2017 said:

Are people actually rejecting their acceptances? *just an anxious waitlister*

there will likely be more waitlist movement in May when med school offers go out (May 8, 2018) and some students accept their med school offer and decline their dental school offer

8 minutes ago, Flipperoni said:

Does anyone know about how many people get placed in the high/normal/low waitlists respectively?

Some people have speculated that it may have been around 20 last year. That was supposed to be conservative but didn't fully clear last year, so it's possible that they adjusted and made it <20 if they wanted to make it conservative as well this year. Just my 2 cents tho, supported by 0 reliable resources 

On April 25, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Friendlyapplicant said:

I'm planning on taking my mother out on mother's day and surprise her with the acceptance letter :D 

I don't know how you are waiting that long i called my parents .2 seconds after i opened the page freaking out!! Congratulations  :D:lol:

1 hour ago, lemon_tree said:

I don't know how you are waiting that long i called my parents .2 seconds after i opened the page freaking out!! Congratulations  :D:lol:

Haha, thank you, and grats to you as well! I've told my mother that the results would come out in June~ July (I was assuming I'd get waitlisted if lucky). It'll be a surprise for her on the Mother's Day :D

Accepted!

GPA: 88.8

DAT (AA/RC/PAT): 20/22/18

Interview performance (personal opinion): I thought it went really well. Got great feedback from panel, made them laugh and it overall felt like a conversation. 

ABS: Very strong. Publications, shadowing, clubs, etc. 

IP/OOP: IP

Year: finished 1 year masters 

Can't wait to meet everyone!!

1 minute ago, MPM1010 said:

Has anyone paid the deposit yet? I can't seem to figure out where to pay it. And does anyone know where the 2018 tuition is listed? Online they only have 2017. 

I accepted the offer, but nothing has been updated for me yet

Congratulations and hope to see you in the fall!

After you accepted the offer, on student center your green circle should become a green check mark or vice versa (I can't remember the exact shape haha).
You need to setup Western Tuition as a payable through your bank branch, with your student number (most likely beginning in 250...) being the reference for the deposit.
Exact tuition costs for 2018 will be posted later in the summer nearing the end of August, after when your first deposit is due. Normally, there is an increase in costs from year to year

8 minutes ago, Sherbert said:

If in the semester following application submission (Winter 2018 term), there were changes made to only elective courses, would that affect admission once the final transcript is received?

As long as the changes occurred to elective courses you were taking during the past academic year (in which you applied), then it doesn't matter as year of application isn't considered for GPA calculation

2 minutes ago, Sherbert said:

I was just worried since the application submission email said: Reminder: It is your responsibility to keep Western University informed of any relevant changes to your information or application materials, occurring between the date of submission of application and possible registration, and you must to do so immediately after any such changes occur. I think I called them in January when I made the changes, but that was so long ago and I am not 100% on that.

If you feel uneasy, you can try emailing/calling them. But I think you should be fine as long as you can still graduate :P

19 minutes ago, Sherbert said:

UPDATE: I took my family out for dinner and asked the waitress to put the acceptance letter inside the dessert menu. They were indeed SHOOKETH.

On a side note, any advice for housing in London? Are there any recommendations from current students?

We're working on a document for you guys on things to complete this summer before the big start. Look out for it in the next few days through the class facebook group

9 hours ago, Sherbert said:

UPDATE: I took my family out for dinner and asked the waitress to put the acceptance letter inside the dessert menu. They were indeed SHOOKETH.

On a side note, any advice for housing in London? Are there any recommendations from current students?

That is awesome!!!!

i also have no idea where to live in London I want to be near the school but have no clue at all

9 hours ago, Sherbert said:

7 minutes ago, lemon_tree said:

i also have no idea where to live in London I want to be near the school but have no clue at all

Some people in our class live in Bayfield, Lambton and Beaver Hall near MSB/DSB (where your classes will be). Be aware that Bayfield is expensive with rent starting at $1000 for 1 bedroom apartments, while Lambton/Beaver are $500ish per person for 2 bedroom apartments. If you choose to live a bit far from campus, you can park at the hospital and walk over. More information on living will be available in the document on Facebook!

9 hours ago, Futur3 said:

Thanks for your advice! Don't mind my confusion as this is new for me, but rent for 1 bedroom apartments anywhere (ie. Richmond gates, Platts Lane, etc.) are about $1000, are they not? I think Bayfield is all 1 bedroom apartments while Lambton and Beaver Hall are 2-3 bed rooms apartments and are cheaper considering you're sharing it with someone else. Do you or your classmates who have lived in Bayfield/Lambton/Beaver Hall have any complaints? They seem to be more convenient than Platts due to the distance, even though Platts is nicer. 

I live at bayfield and the building is not the best (some people in our class have been dealing with insect problems) but the convienance to walk to class in 5 min makes me stay here! When you have class from 830-530 and get breaks in between for 1.5 hours, it’s nice to go home and nap!  Be aware that these units go quickly once med acceptances come out so if you want to get a unit, apply soon!

Archived