Premed 101 Forums

crying during interview?

Hi everyone,

I know this might seem like a weird question but whatever..

(keep in mind that in Quebec, we can apply to med/dental school at 17/18 years old, if our grades allow us to do so, so I might not have the same life experience as most applicants).

I am 17 years old and I just got an interview for dental school! I couldn't be more excited. However, I am a very sensitive person and whenever I talk about stuff that I'm passionate about, I just can't help myself from crying. Tonight, I was practicing for the interview with my mom and at one point, even though it wasn't a real interview, I started crying answering her question because I got really emotional talking about what I had done/ had as experiences. I am scared this will happen during the actual interview as well. What if I start crying there? Have you ever heard of anyone crying during a med/dent school interview? By crying, I don't mean sobbing like crazy, but just getting like teary eyes... Is that a deal breaker?

Thank you so much!

9 minutes ago, meddent2018 said:

Hi everyone,

I know this might seem like a weird question but whatever..

(keep in mind that in Quebec, we can apply to med/dental school at 17/18 years old, if our grades allow us to do so, so I might not have the same life experience as most applicants).

I am 17 years old and I just got an interview for dental school! I couldn't be more excited. However, I am a very sensitive person and whenever I talk about stuff that I'm passionate about, I just can't help myself from crying. Tonight, I was practicing for the interview with my mom and at one point, even though it wasn't a real interview, I started crying answering her question because I got really emotional talking about what I had done/ had as experiences. I am scared this will happen during the actual interview as well. What if I start crying there? Have you ever heard of anyone crying during a med/dent school interview? By crying, I don't mean sobbing like crazy, but just getting like teary eyes... Is that a deal breaker?

Thank you so much!

Don't cry during your interview. Part of being a professional is maintaining your composure, especially in difficult or stressful situations. It is entirely possible to be engaging and passionate about something without becoming tearful at the same time. If this is a problem, then you should practice until it's not.

Depends entirely on the context, if the question was "describe a hardship in your life and how you overcame it" and you had a meaningful, heavy, answer, it would be entirely appropriate to show some emotion, within reason. If they ask you about your hobbies and you start tearing up when describing your stuffed animal collection that might go over less well...

I got emotional during one of my interview stations this year and teared up quite a bit. I thought I was completely screwed after the interview and out of all the interviews I've ever done, I thought this one was the worst. Well I ended up getting in at that school! So in my particular case, it wasn't detrimental BUT I agree with bearded frog that it probably has a lot to do with the timing of it. It was a very personal question where I cried, but you probably shouldn't start crying at every simple question haha. 

5 minutes ago, goleafsgochris said:

I guess it would depend on you interviewer.  To be honest it seems like a way to ensure your application is rejected (I would consider it very unprofessional), but some of the above posters say otherwise, so I guess no one knows for sure.

I agree that it does have a lot to do with the interviewers. I disagree that it is a way to ensure your application is rejected (as I am proof this is not the case). At the end of the day, it is probably best not to cry if you can, but don't beat yourself up over it if it happens. Ultimately, it's something you can't control and it's not something worth stressing over in preparation for your interview. Just be authentic and the interviewers will appreciate it. 

On 4/26/2018 at 11:13 PM, Intrepid86 said:

Don't cry during your interview. Part of being a professional is maintaining your composure, especially in difficult or stressful situations. It is entirely possible to be engaging and passionate about something without becoming tearful at the same time. If this is a problem, then you should practice until it's not.

Great advice, right to the point.

Archived