Premed 101 Forums

For out-of-school electives, how long in advance should I apply? How long does it take to get the acceptance from the elective? How often do electives get cancelled at the last minute even though they confirmed at a prior time?

When do I need to send in the police record check and the immunization? 

For vaccines given out of country, do I need to do them again?

Now, I see I need to get a few tests done less than 12 months before the start of my electives. Does that mean I will have to complete this form twice?

3 hours ago, 101what said:

For out-of-school electives, how long in advance should I apply?

Ideally, as soon as it becomes available. Many students will be waiting for the portal to open for them to submit their application immediately.

How long does it take to get the acceptance from the elective?

Really depends on the admin department, how many others have applied to the elective and whether homeschool students get first dibs. For example, if you applied to an elective and 6 other students applied before you did. The electives office should offer each of them the elective first. They then have 1 week to cancel, so if each student procrastinates it can take 1.5 months for the office to get back to you. Also, some run wait lists and some don't, etc. So the answer is that it really depends. Can take 2-3 months sometimes and it's pretty frustrating tbh.

How often do electives get cancelled at the last minute even though they confirmed at a prior time?

Depends on the specialty etc. I would imagine that derm electives don't get cancelled too much, but internal medicine electives probably do.

When do I need to send in the police record check and the immunization?

depends on the school's policy. For most, it's at the time of application. 

For vaccines given out of country, do I need to do them again?

Not if the doctor that fills out the form for you adds them in. 

Now, I see I need to get a few tests done less than 12 months before the start of my electives. Does that mean I will have to complete this form twice?

It's usually less than 12 months before the application for electives. Idk anyone who had to complete them twice even if they booked them over 12 months in advance (could be wrong though) -> check the school's policy that you're applying to. If they say within 12 months of the electives then do it to be on the safe side

On 4/30/2018 at 4:39 PM, Edict said:

Read AFMC carefully and ask friends. These things change a lot as well even month to month sometimes. 

Sorry for being a noob- but where exactly on the afmc portal do I click to see what the required documents to upload are for each elective?

When I click on school logos, they 4 I looked at just say to upload the immunizations form. Is that actually all that is needed? no mention of police check or anything.

• 4 weeks later...

The website is indeed not very clear.

You kind of have to search for the rotations desired.

e.g. cardiology, add the rotations from the schools that you wish to apply in your wish list. After that, you will see a description of that rotation regarding the procedure to apply, when you can apply etc...

Archived