Premed 101 Forums

UofT/UWO Waitlist movement

Thought maybe I could start this post so that when people get accepted off the waitlist, they can update here for all those other still waiting relentlessly. I think it could be rather easing and quite informative to share the school you got accepted from (UofT/UWO only to make this post not so hectic), wait list#, and the day/time you heard from them. 

Alot of things may happen in the next 2 weeks! Good luck everyone :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solid idea, I'm sure all those waitlisted would appreciate it if people could post so that everyone can have a better idea of how things may shake out

I got waitlisted at UWO, but as we all know UWO doesn't tell you waitlist # so I'm really unsure about my chances. I'm hoping for the best! 

Does anyone know when wait lists tend to move? I know that there will likely be some movement after med acceptances come out next week, but in the past has the waitlist ever moved prior to that? 

1 hour ago, driller said:

I dont know What I should do. I got normal waitlisted for western. So even if I hear from Western it would be in july or august, but my plan B was to go to University of Michigan which is starting in June.  

If you can afford it go to UofM it is a great school. If you think about it the high waitlist didn't even clear last year and it's likely not going to this year however you may get a better idea of waitlist movement after May 8th when med school acceptances come out. You could also wait another year and have a better chance of getting in or you could start school in the states and start earning an income one year earlier. Congrats on your acceptance to UofM!

3 hours ago, driller said:

I dont know What I should do. I got normal waitlisted for western. So even if I hear from Western it would be in july or august, but my plan B was to go to University of Michigan which is starting in June.  

Are you completely confident that there is a high, normal, and low waitlist? Has anyone confirmed with admissions office that they're using this kind of ranking this year?

3 minutes ago, dentp said:

Are you completely confident that there is a high, normal, and low waitlist? Has anyone confirmed with admissions office that they're using this kind of ranking this year?

Yes, my friend recieved an email with high waitlist wordings. 

4 hours ago, driller said:

I'll be completely honest, your chances of getting in are super slim. You could wait until May 22 to decide (2 weeks after med school acceptances come out) to see how much the waitlist moves but UWO doesn't move much anymore. You could potentially defer your acceptance to UofM and reapply to Canadian schools and see how the app cycle goes. The cost of attending a US school is substantial and even waiting one year to get into a Canadian school is worth it in the long run

4 hours ago, driller said:

Oh man, sorry to hear that you're in such a difficult situation. I would suggest that you wait as long as you can (ex. till the deadline for deposit/tuition) and see how much UWO waitlist moves. You can either decide to pursue UofM (I'v heard of cases where someone heard back from UWO during o-week in the states and dipped back to Canada real quik), or try to defer and re-apply as coronaxtra suggested. But Idk how feasible deferral is- you probably need a legitimate excuse that is deemed reasonable from their end. If you think you'll suffer tremendously due to financial issues, you may even want to thoroughly consider if accepting the offer is worth it in the first place

1 hour ago, Coronaxtra said:

I'll be completely honest, your chances of getting in are super slim. You could wait until May 22 to decide (2 weeks after med school acceptances come out) to see how much the waitlist moves but UWO doesn't move much anymore

What do you think are the chances for someone on high waitlist? I know you're saying UWO doesn't move much anymore so I'm just worried that maybe the high waitlist won't move very much either...

22 minutes ago, bardownbingo said:

What do you think are the chances for someone on high waitlist? I know you're saying UWO doesn't move much anymore so I'm just worried that maybe the high waitlist won't move very much either...

19 minutes ago, Flipperoni said:

Didn't the year before last year at UWO move about 30 spots? From what I understand it was only last year that HWL didn't clear

Honestly, no one can predict the movements but since UWO came out so late compared to other schools, many are expecting less movement. Its the first time that UofT acceptances came out 2 months earlier than UWO so its anyones guess as to what will happen. Yes its possible for the HWL to clear (or not) but I think @Steins;Gate described it best on another topic. Don't bank on getting off the waitlist, plan for the next cycle by figuring out what you can do to improve your application. Reflect on what area you feel needs the most improvement and remember, if you are competitive enough to be on the waitlist, you are close to an acceptance! If you get off the waitlist, great but if not you aren't far away!

5 hours ago, Incisor94 said:

Honestly, no one can predict the movements but since UWO came out so late compared to other schools, many are expecting less movement. Its the first time that UofT acceptances came out 2 months earlier than UWO so its anyones guess as to what will happen. Yes its possible for the HWL to clear (or not) but I think @Steins;Gate described it best on another topic. Don't bank on getting off the waitlist, plan for the next cycle by figuring out what you can do to improve your application. Reflect on what area you feel needs the most improvement and remember, if you are competitive enough to be on the waitlist, you are close to an acceptance! If you get off the waitlist, great but if not you aren't far away!

Do you think this year they allocated less people on high waitlist based on last year that high waitlist did not clear? 

I'm going to share a story about one of my buddies in the first year class at U of T. This person applied 3 times and was waitlisted the first two times (and never got off the waitlist as the waitlist # was well beyond #30). The third time, this person applied again (same DAT/GPA as previous years) and improved on their personality test (after realizing that this played an important part of the overall file score) and got in directly. 

The point I am trying to make is that the difference between waitlist and straight offer is just improving one aspect of the interview process. To all who have received interviews and are on the waitlist, please do not feel the need to re-write your DAT (unless it is expiring) or improve your GPA unless you are a 3rd year student. Really spend the year trying to improve your interview skills and apply to a broader selection of schools. You are so very close and do not feel discouraged if you do not get off the waitlist. It is such a competitive process that the smallest of margins makes a bigger difference than one would expect. And of course there is lots of luck involved so do not be too hard on yourself.

If anyone needs help planning for next cycle, I'm all ears and a PM away.

I am waitlisted #31 for UofT and I am on the normal waitlist for Western this year. I am missing one of the prerequisites for Western so if I were to get an offer, it would be conditional upon the completion of my prerequisite course before June 30. Based on my situation, do you guys think I should spend two months taking Orgo (just for Western) when I am on the normal waitlist? Any thoughts or advice?

59 minutes ago, dentistry said:

I am waitlisted #31 for UofT and I am on the normal waitlist for Western this year. I am missing one of the prerequisites for Western so if I were to get an offer, it would be conditional upon the completion of my prerequisite course before June 30. Based on my situation, do you guys think I should spend two months taking Orgo (just for Western) when I am on the normal waitlist? Any thoughts or advice?

If it doesn't work out this year, then would you be applying again to western next year? If yes, then it might be worth getting orgo out of the way so that it could be used this year potentially if you get off the waitlist or it could be used for next year's cycle

18 hours ago, Steins;Gate said:

I'm going to share a story about one of my buddies in the first year class at U of T. This person applied 3 times and was waitlisted the first two times (and never got off the waitlist as the waitlist # was well beyond #30). The third time, this person applied again (same DAT/GPA as previous years) and improved on their personality test (after realizing that this played an important part of the overall file score) and got in directly. 

The point I am trying to make is that the difference between waitlist and straight offer is just improving one aspect of the interview process. To all who have received interviews and are on the waitlist, please do not feel the need to re-write your DAT (unless it is expiring) or improve your GPA unless you are a 3rd year student. Really spend the year trying to improve your interview skills and apply to a broader selection of schools. You are so very close and do not feel discouraged if you do not get off the waitlist. It is such a competitive process that the smallest of margins makes a bigger difference than one would expect. And of course there is lots of luck involved so do not be too hard on yourself.

If anyone needs help planning for next cycle, I'm all ears and a PM away.

I wonder who this is..... SHIIIIIIIEEEEEEEETTTTTT

Archived