Premed 101 Forums

Question about May 8th and Subsequent Waitlist Movement

Hey all,

I had a few questions about the day that med school acceptances come out:

1) On may 8th, do all the acceptance emails come out at the same time in the morning? Or does it roll throughout the day? 

2) Will the status of your acceptance be clear in the email subject? (I wanna know if I'll wake up and see it in my notifs lol)

3) Let's say you interviewed at two schools, A and B. You prefer school A but get waitlisted to A, and you get accepted to B. Will you have to accept B without knowing whether or not you'll get accepted to A? 

Thanks!

A) rolling basis as some do morning others do later.

b) I’ve seen there has been a difference based on school, but just read the email lol.

c) yes, within two weeks of your first acceptance. Otherwise you can decline the one and but risk not getting off the waitlist for the other and then no med school for you. (OMSAS ones)

At the info session at the Ottawa interviews they said that if you accept an offer at another school in Ontario you will be taken off the waitlist at Ottawa, even if you're next in line. Not sure if it's like that for every school but I would assume so. 

Hi Everyone!

I was accepted to Queens, but have also been high waitlisted for my first choice (UWO). Wondering what people's thoughts are about declining a guarnteed offer at one school with the hope of being accepted off the high waitlist at UWO. Any ideas on how common it is to not get in off a high waitlist spot? Or is being on the high wait list pretty likely to result in an offer eventually? Is it worth the risk? 

Thanks for any advice! 

16 minutes ago, juno22 said:

Hi Everyone!

I was accepted to Queens, but have also been high waitlisted for my first choice (UWO). Wondering what people's thoughts are about declining a guarnteed offer at one school with the hope of being accepted off the high waitlist at UWO. Any ideas on how common it is to not get in off a high waitlist spot? Or is being on the high wait list pretty likely to result in an offer eventually? Is it worth the risk? 

Thanks for any advice! 

If you check the western acceptance thread for the past years, you can see that everyone on the high waitlist ends up getting in, as they always get to accept people from the normal waitlist. So the waitlist always reaches somewhere in the normal waitlist, so its safe to say you will end up getting in. Have you gotten into schools out of province? If so you dont have to reject those to make way for your western one.

you can see where they got to the waitlist in previous years in this thread 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, juno22 said:

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for any advice! 

It is COMMON for the 'high' Wait List at UWO to clear. However, it is not guaranteed. It is possible that more people decide to go to Western this year than previous years. This situation has occurred in a cycle. Therefore, if you were to reject your offer of acceptance, I would say you would be taking a risk and could possibly end up without an acceptance at the end of the day.

If I were in your situation, I would accept the offer on the table. As the old saying goes, "Better one in the hand than two in the bush."

2 hours ago, Organize said:

It is COMMON for the 'high' Wait List at UWO to clear. However, it is not guaranteed. It is possible that more people decide to go to Western this year than previous years. This situation has occurred in a cycle. Therefore, if you were to reject your offer of acceptance, I would say you would be taking a risk and could possibly end up without an acceptance at the end of the day.

If I were in your situation, I would accept the offer on the table. As the old saying goes, "Better one in the hand than two in the bush."

When has that occurred? I haven’t seen anything like that looking at recent years 

Archived