Premed 101 Forums

Next steps/Chances?

So I'm a recent graduate, and am looking to apply to dental schools during the next admission cycle. My stats are as follows:

GPA: 

1st yr: 3.56;  2nd yr: 3.58; 3rd yr: 3.82; 4th yr: 3.94; 5th yr: 3.94

cGPA: 3.77 (86.9%); lowest yr dropped: 3.82 (88.35%);  best-2-years: 3.94 (91%) 

Canadian DAT score: 24AA (Bio/Chem/RC: 22/26/24) 25PAT

ECS:

Various volunteering experiences (in various healthcare settings, at-risk communities; mentoring services; etc); limited shadowing experience; diverse employment experiences such as graphic designer, research assistant, university residence services etc; Research: 3rd author on a publication and 1000+ hours of research (multiple publications on the way)

***It is worth noting that my shadowing experience was acquired abroad (Currently trying to find shadowing opportunities in ON, but having a hard time)

I realize that my GPA is fairly low, and so I was wondering if anyone be able to provide me with some insight/advice regarding my chances of gaining acceptance at a Canadian school. Or should I be seriously considering applying abroad (i.e. Australia and the US)? 

Thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, sel397 said:

Dude I think you're golden. Go apply everywhere in Canada and rock the interview. 

Haha I've just been worried bc of my GPA. For example, particularly rattled for a school like UofT where based on what I've seen on the forums, all accepted applicants seem to be around 3.9 or higher. 

I could very well be an exception at UofT, but I had a 3.73 GPA and did a thesis based Masters with 26AA and 21PAT. I don't think my ECs were outstanding in any way as well. I ended up getting an interview and eventually an acceptance.

I think you totally have a shot!

19 minutes ago, arkragon said:

I could very well be an exception at UofT, but I had a 3.73 GPA and did a thesis based Masters with 26AA and 21PAT. I don't think my ECs were outstanding in any way as well. I ended up getting an interview and eventually an acceptance.

I think you totally have a shot!

U of T likes post-grad students so that was likely the clincher. Congrats!

Archived