Premed 101 Forums

asdasdasd

1 hour ago, KeyzerSoze said:

@cleanup I definitely didn't mean for it to come off that way. I just set myself to a certain standard that I felt painstakingly close to achieving. A course I disliked but had poured blood sweat and tears into ended up not paying me back what I thought I had earned.

It's a long road with plenty of hurdles. It's okay to trip over some of them.

Also, the idea of 'what I thought I had earned' is understandable, but you also have to think about what keeps your mind healthy, and what's a productive mindset before, during, and after the fact. Work your butt off. But always be prepared, and be okay with, a result that's less than ideal.

I went into third year of undergrad with a 3.96 like you. My third year GPA was 3.52. Let's just say I'm lucky I didn't let it affect me as much as I could have. 

11 minutes ago, KeyzerSoze said:

I hear you there. In many ways I was the poster child of how not to spend your university years; constantly blocking people out and choosing studying over socializing 10 out of 10 times (where only 6 or 7 out of 10 may have been necessary). I ended up feeling really lonely because of it and I've committed myself to making a change next year. Forming meaningful relationships is far more important to me now than that extra 0.01 or 0.02 GPA, and I don't think I'll fret too much either if my GPA gets lower next year.

I don't know if you'll see this as solace or stressful but I promise you if med school is the goal, they strive to care a lot more about your ability to form meaningful relationships than they do about minute differences in GPA.

A 0.01 GPA difference is an extra mark or two in a course. Maybe attributable to blind luck even. The ability to form meaningful relationships means you're a well-rounded, conscientious person. Pick which one you'd rather have.

18 hours ago, cleanup said:

I don't know if you'll see this as solace or stressful but I promise you if med school is the goal, they strive to care a lot more about your ability to form meaningful relationships than they do about minute differences in GPA.

A 0.01 GPA difference is an extra mark or two in a course. Maybe attributable to blind luck even. The ability to form meaningful relationships means you're a well-rounded, conscientious person. Pick which one you'd rather have.

Also you will need to demonstrate the ability to form meaningful relationships in order to be successful with your application, especially at interview. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/8/2018 at 5:52 PM, KeyzerSoze said:

Just got a mark back that dropped my total 2-year cGPA from what should've been a 3.97 to a 3.96 (I got an 84) and I'm pretty pissed about it and I need to vent. It was a course I was never interested in and want nothing to do with ever again.

Cell bio can go to hell.

Not sure if you are trolling or not. But that's not gonna change anything. I expected you to say 3.97 to a 3.69 or something...

7 hours ago, KeyzerSoze said:

No i'm not trolling. Admittedly I wrote this post in the heat of the moment when I had just received my mark, and the combination of my surprise and aversion for the course resulted in a petty gripe.

Ya I think you're gonna survive dude. Enjoy the summer :)

On 5/8/2018 at 2:52 PM, KeyzerSoze said:

Just got a mark back that dropped my total 2-year cGPA from what should've been a 3.97 to a 3.96 (I got an 84) and I'm pretty pissed about it and I need to vent. It was a course I was never interested in and want nothing to do with ever again.

Cell bio can go to hell.

Oh grow up and stop blantantly bragging you're well above the average of med applicants. My GPA dropped from 3.85ish to 3.5 something after 3 trash semesters full of C's and B-'s because I could not cope withthe aftermath of a family crisis and now I'm probably gonna go to Australia or Ireland where I'll become an alcoholic.  

2 hours ago, Moscovici2020 said:

Oh grow up and stop blantantly bragging you're well above the average of med applicants. My GPA dropped from 3.85ish to 3.5 something after 3 trash semesters full of C's and B-'s because I could not cope withthe aftermath of a family crisis and now I'm probably gonna go to Australia or Ireland where I'll become an alcoholic.  

Apply to schools that will take into account extenuating circumstances

Archived