Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Hi guys, 

Im currently in my third year at the UoS, i had a question for all the accepted, current or past med school students. Any Ontario or OOP students who went to USASK for their undergrad and were accepted into their med school after their fourth year, was your average and mcat scores similar to actual IP kids or did they mark your applications harder? Im assuming its the same, however since I read they validate your IP status using your transcript I thought maybe they would be a little biased, please let me know!

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2020 at 10:51 PM, Cookie2000 said:

Hi guys, 

Im currently in my third year at the UoS, i had a question for all the accepted, current or past med school students. Any Ontario or OOP students who went to USASK for their undergrad and were accepted into their med school after their fourth year, was your average and mcat scores similar to actual IP kids or did they mark your applications harder? Im assuming its the same, however since I read they validate your IP status using your transcript I thought maybe they would be a little biased, please let me know!

I don't think they 'mark it harder' because I don't think that there is any subjective assessment of the application until the interview process. You are either seen as an IP or OOP and then your transcript and MCAT scores are ranked. 

• 3 months later...

Update June 1: accepted off waitlist, declined offer

Result: Waitlisted 2nd Quartile

GPA: high 80s

MCAT Score: high 520s

Degree: UG many years ago

Interview: I thought this interview went super well, but OOP admissions are 100% based on the interview, so it must not have been quite as good as I thought.

Congrats folks!

Result: Rejected

GPA: 89.5%

MCAT Score (BB/CARS/CP/PS): 521 (132/128/132/139)

Degree: BSc 2021

Interview: I felt like my last 3 stations went super well, but the first 3 stations were bad. I recall that my 2nd station had a lot of background noise that forced me to stop talking and inform the interviewer.

Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance!

Result: Accepted - Regina (second choice)

GPA: high 80's

MCAT Score: 504

Degree: UG graduated

Interview: Felt pretty solid, obviously tough to gauge exactly how they thought it went.

Question: I've been accepted, but not to my first choice. I've seen IP students accepted off the waitlist to Saskatoon in previous years. If IP offers to Saskatoon are declined, will I be moved over to my preferred site?

Congrats to applicants who were accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist!

Result: Accepted (Regina - Second choice)

GPA: 86.75

MCAT: 502 (LOL)

Degree: BSN 2019 (Great Distinction)

Interview: This was my first cycle applying so I had no idea what to expect however I felt that my interview went well as I was able to tie in a lot of my experiences as a nurse within the healthcare system. All my interviewers were super friendly and the stations were as I expected and had practiced for.

Congratulations to all those who were accepted - I cannot wait to meet you this summer/fall! :)

Best of luck to those on the waitlist - YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Result: Accepted - Saskatoon

GPA: 89.6

MCAT Score: 523

Degree: UG graduated '21

Interview: Felt pretty much as good as I could hope, but you never really know.

Super excited to have been accepted and congrats to everyone else who got in!! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall.

Result: Accepted - Regina

GPA: 86 or 85 I think?

MCAT Score: 509

Degree: UG graduated '20

Interview: I felt like I did a really good job in all stations tbh

Congratulations to everyone who is accepted and those on the waitlist.  This is my second time applying and last year I got waitlisted, so I’m super happy! 

32 minutes ago, drcasper said:

Result: waitlisted (1st quartile)

GPA: 84ish 

MCAT: 509

Degree: 2x UG 

Interview: overall good! Had a few really strong stations (I think) then the others felt good but not great

Anyone declining their offers? 

Should be a lot and you should get in. Good luck!

Result: waitlisted (1st quartile)

Gpa: 87%

Mcat: 505

Degree: UG

Interview: went well I thought, except 1 question was not good

Anybody know how many are on the waitlist? I know that the first quartile usually has decent movement, but idk how many are actually in the WL.

Result: Accepted - Saskatoon

GPA: 89.5 (ish)

MCAT Score: 504

Degree: 4yr UG, finished classes this winter term

Interview: Felt very confident about it afterwards, got to talk about all the main points I had prepared for, was able to speak comfortably, and didn't encounter any technical issues.

Will be accepting my offer!

Result - waitlisted (1st quartile) 

GPA - 86

MCAT - 509

Location - IP

Degree - 4th year UG

Interview - felt good/okay about most of the stations. definitely messed up on one!

Do they move through the waitlist quite fast usually? And how far do they move?

Congrats to all accepted!! 

Result - Rejected. Not even Waitlisted.

GPA - 79.91

MCAT - 503

Degree - 4th Year of Undergrad

Interview - I was exceptionally well on 5/6 and meh on one of them

I'm actually upset because my CARS and MMI were very strong compared to my peers. They gave me no reason for why I was rejected but I'm banking on it being my GPA. How much do I need to raise my GPA before I have a better shot?

12 minutes ago, FutureS said:

Because I saw a lot said they would decline their offers since  they got more other offers. 

IP or OOP? Not too many IP folks decline their spots. They have separate wait lists for different applicant streams. There's much more movement on the OOP waitlist.