Premed 101 Forums

Maritime connection for OOP and chances

I'm really interested in applying to Dal (it will be OOP for this upcoming cycle) and was wondering what my chances were.

My two year GPA is 3.9 and MCAT score is 521 (130, 131, 129, 131). I know the maritime connection essay is super important in getting the interview. Is it the only criteria they use  for OOP applicants once the cutoff has been met?

25 minutes ago, AM22476 said:

It is, and it's really important you have strong connections because of the number of OOP applications they get. Do you have any family in the Maritimes? 

As an advice, you don’t necessarily need a family tie - I have spoken to a few individuals who got an invite without a family tie. If you can find a convincing reason why you want to specifically go to Dal, that can work too. 

I did not have strong personal ties to the Maritimes and received an offer. I wrote about my experience working with individuals from the maritimes and, through this, demonstrated my knowledge of the healthcare issues in the region. I also tied other aspects of my education to Dalhousie's philosophy/MD program strengths and the opportunities provided to students. My only personal connection was having family who spent a few weeks in the Maritimes and I managed to tie this information into the broader narrative of "why dal/why maritimes". 

Your GPA and MCAT are excellent and either meet or exceed the averages for accepted candidates. Good luck!!

2 hours ago, hartk48 said:

As an advice, you don’t necessarily need a family tie - I have spoken to a few individuals who got an invite without a family tie. If you can find a convincing reason why you want to specifically go to Dal, that can work too. 

I wasn't specifically saying that was  needed, per se, just trying to get the OP to think about some options, and that's the easiest place to start. I'm sure there are certainly other ways to demonstrate a Maritime connection, as doctorofmydreams has pointed out. 

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Xbox Skully said:

I have a question for a family member. So I go to dal dental and my family member is oop. Would that be a decent enough tie to the maritimes to get an interview?

I sincerely hope that you can find a better connection.. read the comments above for starters

Archived