Premed 101 Forums

Any second degree success stories for Schulich Med?

Hi,

I'm planning on completing a second undergrad degree to boost my GPA, because based on what I've read here, a MSc would be pointless for me. If all goes as planned, the second degree (Honors BSc in Psych) would take me 2 years to complete because I have already completed the majority of the first and second year pre-reqs through my previous degree, and I would be able to satisfy the 3/5 rule for senior courses in both the years.

I guess I'm just really nervous to spend another 2 years of my life in undergrad (and my family is not fond of the idea either). I spent 5 years in my previous degree and saw an upward trend in my GPA each year (2.9 -> 3.0 -> 3.2 -> 3.6 -> 3.6), but obviously, still not good enough for Canadian med schools. I know the reason for my poor GPA was lack of focus due to family issues/illnesses in my earlier undergrad years, so I didn't really get a chance to properly learn how to study in university until later on in my undergrad. Should I still give it a try though? Has this worked out for anyone else?

For more info, I did the MCAT last year and got a decent score (may redo to be more competitive for other schools, because I got a 125 in CARS). I've been volunteering in the hospital since 2011 and volunteering in a phys/pharm lab since 2016 (with a publication on its way), but I definitely enjoy the hospital environment and patient interaction way more than spending countless hours of my day doing wet lab experiments all week alone... I tried to forget about doing Medicine because I felt like I wasn't smart enough, but I can't stop thinking about it, like what if I didn't try again? I'm also SWOMEN and would prefer to stay in London for med school due to family obligations, but obviously will be applying all over Canada if all goes well.

Hi,

First of all, never tell yourself or let anyone tell you that you are not smart enough for medicine! Clearly, it seems that other factors have caused you to have a lower gpa, which I can also relate too! From your upwards trend in gpa, I believe that you definitely have potential in achieving the Schulich best two years of 3.7 with your two years of psych courses. 

For sure retake the MCAT, because even if you have met the Schulich cut-offs you can still be "more competitive". Additionally it seems like you have great volunteering/research work that will help you with your interview as well! 

Now, I am NOT the success story that you are looking for haha, but in a slightly similar situation. I have just completed a 4 year degree with my best two years 3.7 and 3.79 (meet the Schulich cut-offs but not the best gpa by any means). I am also re-taking the MCAT with the hopes of meeting the SWOMEN cut-offs, yes I am SWOMEN as well! This status is honestly the only thing that is keeping me going at this point because a 129 in CARS I know is next to impossible to me. I am hopeful to meet the cut-offs and then an interview is guaranteed at least! After that, I am pretty hopeful that my interview skills will be able to pull me through to an acceptance. 

I read on this forum once that someone around a 3.7 ish average for best two years got into Schulich (as SWOMEN I believe) and that is essentially my "success story" haha. 

Hopefully some else can chime in here with another success story, and additionally, if anyone has any insight into how much gpa and mcat are factored into admission status that would also be greatly appreciated. 

But please do not lose hope or give up on your dreams! I agree, research is great but the whole aspect of working with patients is my aspiration for medicine a well! I know that with family disapproval etc. it can be tough to embark on another two years of undergrad, but if this is your dream, I do not see another option! 

Best of luck!!!!!

6 hours ago, T-cell said:

Hi,

First of all, never tell yourself or let anyone tell you that you are not smart enough for medicine! Clearly, it seems that other factors have caused you to have a lower gpa, which I can also relate too! From your upwards trend in gpa, I believe that you definitely have potential in achieving the Schulich best two years of 3.7 with your two years of psych courses. 

For sure retake the MCAT, because even if you have met the Schulich cut-offs you can still be "more competitive". Additionally it seems like you have great volunteering/research work that will help you with your interview as well! 

Now, I am NOT the success story that you are looking for haha, but in a slightly similar situation. I have just completed a 4 year degree with my best two years 3.7 and 3.79 (meet the Schulich cut-offs but not the best gpa by any means). I am also re-taking the MCAT with the hopes of meeting the SWOMEN cut-offs, yes I am SWOMEN as well! This status is honestly the only thing that is keeping me going at this point because a 129 in CARS I know is next to impossible to me. I am hopeful to meet the cut-offs and then an interview is guaranteed at least! After that, I am pretty hopeful that my interview skills will be able to pull me through to an acceptance. 

I read on this forum once that someone around a 3.7 ish average for best two years got into Schulich (as SWOMEN I believe) and that is essentially my "success story" haha. 

Hopefully some else can chime in here with another success story, and additionally, if anyone has any insight into how much gpa and mcat are factored into admission status that would also be greatly appreciated. 

But please do not lose hope or give up on your dreams! I agree, research is great but the whole aspect of working with patients is my aspiration for medicine a well! I know that with family disapproval etc. it can be tough to embark on another two years of undergrad, but if this is your dream, I do not see another option! 

Best of luck!!!!!

Hi,

Thank you so much for your sweet words, it helped me feel a little better (and gave me more hope!). Just have to overcome the family disapproval now haha.

I truly wish you the best of luck!!! :) Practice hard and you will def make (and hopefully exceed) the cutoffs and kill your interview!! :)

Hi, no problem, I believe in you!

Remember (and remind your family lol) that many people in Med School have a 2 years masters or 4 year PhD, so spending 2 years after UG is normal! 

And as you said, with Schulich and particularly the SWOMEN status a Masters won't help but a killer 2 year gpa will!

During those 2 years, remember to enjoy life and continue with the research for sure as I feel that will really help you with your interview one day at Schulich ;) 

I believe that everything happens for a reason, so just be hopeful that everything will work out one day!

15 hours ago, T-cell said:

Hi, no problem, I believe in you!

Remember (and remind your family lol) that many people in Med School have a 2 years masters or 4 year PhD, so spending 2 years after UG is normal! 

And as you said, with Schulich and particularly the SWOMEN status a Masters won't help but a killer 2 year gpa will!

During those 2 years, remember to enjoy life and continue with the research for sure as I feel that will really help you with your interview one day at Schulich ;)

I believe that everything happens for a reason, so just be hopeful that everything will work out one day!

Thank you, I believe in you too :)

Yeah, my family is finding it hard to grasp that a Masters won't offset a bad GPA from undergrad. But I guess sometimes you just have to follow your heart (as cheesy as that sounds) and not let anyone get in the way!

Thank you once again, you're so kind :) truly wishing the best for you!!! 

On May 11, 2018 at 2:48 PM, corgi.lover said:

Hi,

I'm planning on completing a second undergrad degree to boost my GPA, because based on what I've read here, a MSc would be pointless for me. If all goes as planned, the second degree (Honors BSc in Psych) would take me 2 years to complete because I have already completed the majority of the first and second year pre-reqs through my previous degree, and I would be able to satisfy the 3/5 rule for senior courses in both the years.

I guess I'm just really nervous to spend another 2 years of my life in undergrad (and my family is not fond of the idea either). I spent 5 years in my previous degree and saw an upward trend in my GPA each year (2.9 -> 3.0 -> 3.2 -> 3.6 -> 3.6), but obviously, still not good enough for Canadian med schools. I know the reason for my poor GPA was lack of focus due to family issues/illnesses in my earlier undergrad years, so I didn't really get a chance to properly learn how to study in university until later on in my undergrad. Should I still give it a try though? Has this worked out for anyone else?

For more info, I did the MCAT last year and got a decent score (may redo to be more competitive for other schools, because I got a 125 in CARS). I've been volunteering in the hospital since 2011 and volunteering in a phys/pharm lab since 2016 (with a publication on its way), but I definitely enjoy the hospital environment and patient interaction way more than spending countless hours of my day doing wet lab experiments all week alone... I tried to forget about doing Medicine because I felt like I wasn't smart enough, but I can't stop thinking about it, like what if I didn't try again? I'm also SWOMEN and would prefer to stay in London for med school due to family obligations, but obviously will be applying all over Canada if all goes well.

Hey! So I just completed my sixth year of undergrad and I'm high wait listed, so keep trying! I was in a similar situation to yours, and completed a fifth and sixth year respectively, which served as my two years to satisfy the GPA requirement. I could have done a second degree but I opted not to because I had much more flexibility by remaining engaged in my current degree and taking upper year courses instead, since I had more or less satisfied all the prerequisites over the 4 years previous and as a result could take whatever I wanted. This allowed me to tailor-make my last two years very specifically toward courses I wanted to take, felt I could be successful in, and were more conducive to improving my GPA. So the point is, keep trying, there may be stigma against spending more time in the undergraduate stage but none of that matters if you get an acceptance and move on to the next stage, keep trying and  good luck :)

I'm not in med school yet either but I have a similar story with regard to the upward trend and GPA being low early on. SOOOO many people will try and discourage us but I genuinely believe you can do anything if you put your mind to it!

I see how it's difficult with your family not understanding the value of extra years of undergrad - perhaps you could do an accelerated undergrad degree that could provide those 2 years of grades for your GPA and also provide a backup plan? There are a few out there.

4 hours ago, isitlunchtimeyet said:

I'm not in med school yet either but I have a similar story with regard to the upward trend and GPA being low early on. SOOOO many people will try and discourage us but I genuinely believe you can do anything if you put your mind to it!

I see how it's difficult with your family not understanding the value of extra years of undergrad - perhaps you could do an accelerated undergrad degree that could provide those 2 years of grades for your GPA and also provide a backup plan? There are a few out there.

Thank you! I believe you can get into med school as well :) 

What do you mean by an accelerated undergrad degree? I was thinking of transferring credits from my previous undergrad and using that towards another honors degree to finish in 2 years. Is that what you mean? I go to Western if that helps!

Hi again:)

I think what the person might mean is (at western anyways) the accelerated nursing program which is a 2 year program! However, for this cycle the deadline has unfortunately already passed (otherwise that might have been a good option since 2 years and you'll get a back-up nursing degree). I think you mentioned doing a degree in psych I believe? I think that should honestly be fine for obtaining a decent gpa in! What is your first degree in if you don;t mind me asking? 

23 hours ago, corgi.lover said:

Thank you! I believe you can get into med school as well :)

What do you mean by an accelerated undergrad degree? I was thinking of transferring credits from my previous undergrad and using that towards another honors degree to finish in 2 years. Is that what you mean? I go to Western if that helps!

There are 2 year condensed bachelor's degrees. At Western there's accelerated nursing, but the one I was thinking of can be found at this link. It's not in London but it seems like a program that would be easier than nursing to get good grades in and leaves you with several career options where you can work for the government (ie. good pay and reliable), so it provides you with additional benefits compared to just adding on 2 years to a degree. T-cell is correct in saying the deadline has passed for those but it's definitely something to look into for next year!

On 5/15/2018 at 5:17 PM, T-cell said:

Hi again:)

I think what the person might mean is (at western anyways) the accelerated nursing program which is a 2 year program! However, for this cycle the deadline has unfortunately already passed (otherwise that might have been a good option since 2 years and you'll get a back-up nursing degree). I think you mentioned doing a degree in psych I believe? I think that should honestly be fine for obtaining a decent gpa in! What is your first degree in if you don;t mind me asking? 

Hi :)

Oh okay! I did look into nursing, but I'm really not interested in it :( I hope psych will be okay! I did Health Science with Bio! 

On 5/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, isitlunchtimeyet said:

There are 2 year condensed bachelor's degrees. At Western there's accelerated nursing, but the one I was thinking of can be found at this link. It's not in London but it seems like a program that would be easier than nursing to get good grades in and leaves you with several career options where you can work for the government (ie. good pay and reliable), so it provides you with additional benefits compared to just adding on 2 years to a degree. T-cell is correct in saying the deadline has passed for those but it's definitely something to look into for next year!

Oh wow that program looks really interesting, and it's awesome they're offering it for 2 years. Really wish it was in London :( It's hard for me to leave London due to family obligations, but will definitely discuss this with my family! Thanks so much for this suggestion :) had no idea it existed!

Archived