Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you!  this is so unexpected. im still processing the news

Accepted off waitlist OOP 2:42pm EST. 

Yes. So if you look over the last few years, it is typically 30-40 declined offers. I assume that if there are offers, there are spots, and therefore would equal the number of waitlist movement.

2 hours ago, Lesigh2 said:

How do you know there are 80 offers?

As well, it looks like about 43 people declined their offer last year per the admission statistics which would mean about that many will get off of the waitlist?

Yeah I’m assuming about that many would get off the waitlist! Hopefully they wouldn’t over offer. What a weird position to be in on a Waitlist. I figured either a rejection or acceptance, didn’t think about waitlist!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lesigh2 said:

How do you know there are 80 offers?

As well, it looks like about 43 people declined their offer last year per the admission statistics which would mean about that many will get off of the waitlist?

Where'd you get the 43 number? Last year according to the document linked below, 311 offers were made. That would be at most 23 offers from the waitlist. 80 is a guess I believe (the poster used the word "speculation" explicitly), based on a multiplication of how much movement of the waitlist there was. Like UBC would want to safely have enough waitlisters (because you wouldn't want to contact a rejected person, that would be sort of bad form, so they make the waitlist big enough to feel safe they won't run out, but not so big it's unwieldy or misleading?... this part is all speculation).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Persephone said:

Where'd you get the 43 number? Last year according to the document linked below, 311 offers were made. That would be at most 23 offers from the waitlist. 80 is a guess I believe (the poster used the word "speculation" explicitly), based on a multiplication of how much movement of the waitlist there was. Like UBC would want to safely have enough waitlisters (because you wouldn't want to contact a rejected person, that would be sort of bad form, so they make the waitlist big enough to feel safe they won't run out, but not so big it's unwieldy or misleading?... this part is all speculation).

 

My number is from the number of declined offers in the interim statistics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lesigh2 said:

My number is from the number of declined offers in the interim statistics. 

Hm, I can't find any info on declined offers in the stats from last year. Is this the document you're looking at? :::

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2017/10/FINAL-MED-2021-Admissions-Statistics-website.pdf

 

EDIT: I found it, I don't know how I missed it. Right on the last page! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

last year for oop, 81 students were interviewed and 28 did not receive offers (since 29 enrolled while 24 declined their offer). Those 28 students should include those who were: rejected, waitlisted, took their name off the waitlist in favour of another school. I don't exactly know how many got off the waitlist for oop, but i speculate between 20-30.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Persephone said:

Hm, I can't find any info on declined offers in the stats from last year. Is this the document you're looking at? :::

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2017/10/FINAL-MED-2021-Admissions-Statistics-website.pdf

 

EDIT: I found it, I don't know how I missed it. Right on the last page! 

Yes. So if you look over the last few years, it is typically 30-40 declined offers. I assume that if there are offers, there are spots, and therefore would equal the number of waitlist movement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...