Premed 101 Forums

Question About How to Write About Clinical Experience

Hi Everyone, 

I am applying to american schools this cycle and would love some advice about to write about my clinical experience. I am working for the next three months as a clinical assistant for some family physicians which includes: patient intake, charting, billing, shadowing the doctors, running classes for their patients and eventually taking patient histories. I know US schools are big on shadowing hours so should I just be highlighting the amount of time spent shadowing or all of the clinical experience as a whole? I feel like all of the clinical experience together paints a better picture of what I have been doing this summer. 

I also agree that putting it together as a clinical experience paints a better picture of the position. How many shadowing hours do you predict to have? Some schools are really keen on having dedicated shadowing hours thats different from other clinical activities. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 11:11 AM, bearpuppy said:

I would say just describe with as much detail/depth as the space allows. The more they are convinced that you know what medicine is truly like, the less they'll question your intentions.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:27 AM, Serendi said:

I also agree that putting it together as a clinical experience paints a better picture of the position. How many shadowing hours do you predict to have? Some schools are really keen on having dedicated shadowing hours thats different from other clinical activities. 

Sorry for the late reply!! Thank you both for the advice. I guess I am unclear what section to put in under for the activities I am doing it as my work term for my MPH and I'm not paid. So it doesn't vist "Paid Medical" but also not "Volunteer Medical", I could put shadowing and observation but I am doing a lot more then just shadowing as I am building classes for patients etc. 

What do you guys think? Thanks so much! 

My description describes everything I have done does the category I pick matter?

On 6/18/2018 at 7:45 AM, bearpuppy said:

Pick what you think is best, and then just make it clear in the description. It's not a big deal as long as you dont purposefully misrepresent.

Thank you!! I think I will put shadowing/clinical observation and expand on my role in the description! Thanks!

Archived