Premed 101 Forums

Bad wait-list question

The problem with bad waitlist is that you don't know if you are just below the boundary of good-bad wl or all the way at the bottom of wl. I think if you are closer to the former, and this year movement is significantly higher than anticipated, then theoretically you might have a chance. Realistically though, I would not rely on it.

GL

1 hour ago, m_jacob_45 said:

I have never heard of this happening in the English stream. I think they intentionally make the good waitlist relatively large because they don't want to mislead people who may have gone ahead with other plans for the year. 

Lol unless you consider last year when they just put everyone on one huge waitlist, no good or bad. 

I don’t think Ottawa has ever even cleared through all of the good waitlist let alone anyone from the bad waitlist getting accepted. Consider that Ottawa doesn’t send any “rejections” so a bad waitlist is just a “bad” way of saying you’re rejected. The “good” waitlist is not in any way good but rather just a legitimate waitlist that you may or may not get off of from. The good waitlist of Ottawa is similar to a typical waitlist you’d be put on for other schools. In other words, it is better to think of the bad waitlist as a rejection and the good waitlist as a general waitlist. 

On 5/16/2018 at 1:55 PM, GITG said:

The problem with bad waitlist is that you don't know if you are just below the boundary of good-bad wl or all the way at the bottom of wl. I think if you are closer to the former, and this year movement is significantly higher than anticipated, then theoretically you might have a chance. Realistically though, I would not rely on it.

GL

Can I ask how you know/think that the movement is significantly higher than anticipated? Thanks!

On 5/23/2018 at 2:48 PM, obiwankenobi said:

I'm on the bad waitlist, and I've already accepted that I have to reapply. I don't know if I should feel hopeful :( 

Just my personal opinion...but I think it would be best to feel neither very hopeful nor hopeless. Rather, you should be very determined to systematically and realistically self-appraise and find ways to improve yourself. See this as a great opportunity rather than a great predicament.  Think about it, if you work hard to improve yourself and get in next year, not only it will be an amazing feat, but you will undoubtedly be a stronger, more resilient, and more mature individual. Then when the medical school starts, you will be in a better shape to deal with failures and the improvements you made will make you a stronger candidate for whatever specialty you will be aiming for. 

2 minutes ago, GITG said:

Just my personal opinion...but I think it would be best to feel neither very hopeful nor hopeless. Rather, you should be very determined to systematically and realistically self-appraise and find ways to improve yourself. See this as a great opportunity rather than a great predicament.  Think about it, if you work hard to improve yourself and get in next year, not only it will be an amazing feat, but you will undoubtedly be a stronger, more resilient, and more mature individual. Then when the medical school starts, you will be in a better shape to deal with failures and the improvements you made will make you a stronger candidate for whatever specialty you will be aiming for. 

i don't think it's fair to tell people that they should see this as a reason to improve themselfs. the interview process is one of the most subjective ways to judge an applicant, especially a pannel interview. of course it's always good to improve yourself, but this should be no matter if you get accepted and not. in my opinion the interview part is legit luck based

3 minutes ago, karl heider said:

i don't think it's fair to tell people that they should see this as a reason to improve themselfs. the interview process is one of the most subjective ways to judge an applicant, especially a pannel interview. of course it's always good to improve yourself, but this should be no matter if you get accepted and not. in my opinion the interview part is legit luck based

Maybe I should clarify. My comments had no bearing on how capable he/she is as a person. It is absolutely possible (and very likely) that on a different day or with a different panel, he or she would have got in directly. The subjectivity/luck factor on who should or should not be a doctor is prominent in these interviews. But I still believe looking at it from an opportunity point of view is the most pragmatic way of handling a rejection/bad wl, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with GITG take it as a opportunity to self-reflect, we barely have opportunities in life to do that. Although yes maybe there is some component of luck, no it is not 100% luck, but at the same time its not 100% based on what they think  they are evaluating (for example being able to act a person youre not is not something that they look for but would for sure help in an interview, being able to collect your nerves, etc.). If you are on the bad waitlist I would definitely start reflecting on yourself, your application, and start preparing immediately for next year. If you do get in off the bad wait list (which is very rare) than you take it as a blessing!

Hope that helps

Mr Duck

• 3 years later...