Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a chance at getting into Dental School?

Hello,

I just finished fourth year of university (in Ontario) and was wondering if you guys thought I had a good chance at getting into dental school in Ontario. I am writing the DAT in November. I also took 9 courses instead of 10 in fourth year and therefore had 4.5 credits instead of 5 for that year. 

First year average: 87% (3.82 based on omsas gpa scale)

Second year GPA: 90.6% (3.94)

Third year GPA: 92.15% (4.0)

Fourth year GPA : 91.22% (3.99)

Top 2 years average for western: 91.375

Top 3 years GPA for U of T: 3.976 (I called U of T and asked if I could still use my fourth year and they said yes)

ECs: volunteered in hospital for 1 year, part time job at Kumon (tutoring) for 6 years (3-9 hours a week), volunteering in research lab for 15 months (3-6 hours a week). Kinda worried about this because I don't know what else I can do and I feel like this should be much longer. 

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.  

Just nail the DAT and you should be pretty good. I had 3.73 GPA (plus a Master's). I volunteer at a hospital and I also work at Kumon (funnily enough). Now I'm accepted and going to UofT (UofT peeps like graduate students from what I've heard).

I'm sure if you spent some time going through the acceptance threads you would see your GPA is very competitive. That being said you still need to do relatively well on the DAT but your chances of getting an interview (for UofT at least) are already good. Should also keep in mind though that even the highest ranked applicants on paper get rejected post-interview so the interview will really make or break you. Best of luck. 

Thank you all for replying. I am not too worried about my GPA but I'm a bit concerned about my ECs. I was wondering if my GPA would help offset the negative effect of my EC list not being that long or impressive, especially for UWO. 

GPA is fine for uoft or Western. You may need to add more to your ABS for Western. I would recommend shadowing and just more community volunteering. Your University may have a volunteering portal you can use to see what you can help out with, or just volunteer with events around your city.

21 hours ago, abc96 said:

Thank you all for replying. I am not too worried about my GPA but I'm a bit concerned about my ECs. I was wondering if my GPA would help offset the negative effect of my EC list not being that long or impressive, especially for UWO. 

You did more volunteering than me and your gpa is similar to mine and I got accepted into western. Interview and dat!!

Thanks everyone! One last question for you guys. Would my stats and ECs be competitive for McGill as an OOP? And if I prefer to stay in Ontario, is there a point in even applying to McGill (because if I could get into McGill as OOP I would have gotten into ON Dental schools)? 

2 minutes ago, abc96 said:

Thanks everyone! One last question for you guys. Would my stats and ECs be competitive for McGill as an OOP? And if I prefer to stay in Ontario, is there a point in even applying to McGill (because if I could get into McGill as OOP I would have gotten into ON Dental schools)? 

My friend got into McGill as an OOP and didn’t get into Ontario schools. Keep in mind though that starting this year McGill will require the DAT including the manual dexterity portion. Also the latest DAT they will accept is February 2018. 

10 minutes ago, ysoNaCly said:

My friend got into McGill as an OOP and didn’t get into Ontario schools. Keep in mind though that starting this year McGill will require the DAT including the manual dexterity portion. Also the latest DAT they will accept is February 2018. 

Damn I didn't know that. I guess I'm not applying there since I'm writing the DAT this November :( Thanks for letting me know.

Archived