Premed 101 Forums

not sure what to do - give up?

Hey guys, 

been a lurker of this forum for quite some time and I guess I need someone to talk to or just the harsh truth. Let me give you the background info, I'm going to be a 3rd-year undergrad student in the coming fall, and I've reached a low this summer because I'm just not sure what to do or if I should even bother applying, 

Moved here for uni (I'm a permanent resident though), and sort of screwed up my first year, got all Bs 1st semester and 3 As and 2 Bs 2nd semester, then got all As and A+s in my 2nd year (woohoo), and hopefully going on the right track and will continue getting As and A+s in my 3rd year.

I've done a full course load and will continue doing a full course load the next year.

I just feel like I'm never going to get in, looking at all the stats of people who've applied and gotten in, my confidence has pretty much gone to shit and I regret how stupid I was first year. With my family problems and mental health issues, it was a lot to deal with (not that it's an excuse or anything), its just I'm looking back and regretting letting these problems get in the way of my studying.

2nd year I picked myself back up and worked hard, mostly got 90s and above (7/10 subjects) and the rest were As (3/10 subjects)  

I'll work even harder 3rd year to get the same grades. I'm hoping to apply in my 4th year, but is it even worth it? knowing I won't get in? everyone's been telling me I have no chance, and that it's impossible. 

Writing my MCAT this summer, been studying really hard for it too, hoping to get that 129 in CARS. 

ECs; part of non-profit organizations, volunteering in a hospital, 1 publication and currently in the process of writing the draft for another, 1.5 years of research, tutoring, started up my own organization, part of a women's health organization, intramurals, volunteered for a couple of marathons. 

nothing really big I guess. 

any help would be greatly appreciated, medical school's been a dream of mine and I can't imagine doing anything but medicine.

Look at my stats. They are really low. It just goes to show that MANY schools have forgiving policies for admission.

Western: Two year over 3.7 (Full-course load)

Queens: Last two years

McMaster: Over 60% is from CARS and CASPer

U of T: Drops 1.0 per year (full-course load)

It seems like you already know what you have to do. Do well on the MCAT (like spend a whole summer on it), do your absolute best in courses and worry about the ECs later. You'll be fine. It's not too late yet. Best of luck!

3 minutes ago, journeytofreakingMD said:

Hey guys, 

been a lurker of this forum for quite some time and I guess I need someone to talk to or just the harsh truth. Let me give you the background info, I'm going to be a 3rd-year undergrad student in the coming fall, and I've reached a low this summer because I'm just not sure what to do or if I should even bother applying, 

Moved here for uni (I'm a permanent resident though), and sort of screwed up my first year, got all Bs 1st semester and 3 As and 2 Bs 2nd semester, then got all As and A+s in my 2nd year (woohoo), and hopefully going on the right track and will continue getting As and A+s in my 3rd year.

I've done a full course load and will continue doing a full course load the next year.

I just feel like I'm never going to get in, looking at all the stats of people who've applied and gotten in, my confidence has pretty much gone to shit and I regret how stupid I was first year. With my family problems and mental health issues, it was a lot to deal with (not that it's an excuse or anything), its just I'm looking back and regretting letting these problems get in the way of my studying.

2nd year I picked myself back up and worked hard, mostly got 90s and above (7/10 subjects) and the rest were As (3/10 subjects)  

I'll work even harder 3rd year to get the same grades. I'm hoping to apply in my 4th year, but is it even worth it? knowing I won't get in? everyone's been telling me I have no chance, and that it's impossible. 

Writing my MCAT this summer, been studying really hard for it too, hoping to get that 129 in CARS. 

ECs; part of non-profit organizations, volunteering in a hospital, 1 publication and currently in the process of writing the draft for another, 1.5 years of research, tutoring, started up my own organization, part of a women's health organization, intramurals, volunteered for a couple of marathons. 

nothing really big I guess. 

any help would be greatly appreciated, medical school's been a dream of mine and I can't imagine doing anything but medicine.

You're totally on track right now. Many people have a poor first year GPA (and I mean have some Cs and Ds) and still get into med school. So, marks-wise, you're totally fine. Can't judge your mcat until you've written it. ECs look good too, keep it up. Try to keep positive. The stats may look rough, but remember there are other thing affecting the stats, like many people apply before they're qualified to in terms of GPA, MCAT, and ECs. So, its not like everyone who's applying is actually a competitive applicant. That said, it's still difficult to get accepted, but you're no worse off than anyone else at this point. 

I can see absolutely nothing wrong with you so far. As mentioned, a lot of people have a poorer first year and still get acceptances. My GPA was a bit lower than the average you see here but I still got an acceptance on my first cycle. The application process is undeniably competitive but there's nothing to suggest you won't get a fair chance. 

you seem to have turned things around, and now are on the right track - you need to continue to keep at that GPA and get those high grades like you did in year 2. Basically you are on the classic recovery pathway for a bad first year - which is a common occurrence to say the least. 

Archived