Premed 101 Forums

Transferring residency programs

Hello,

I am about to start residency in July, and I'm considering trying to transfer to another residency program (my first-choice specialty when I did CaRMS this year). I matched to my second-choice specialty in the first iteration and I am suspecting I might not be 100% fulfilled in it. It's going to be a 5-year to 5-year program transfer. 

My question is, the first year of the program I'm going into doesn't have any elective time. Should I be reaching out to the PD of the program that I want and asking to do some call/shifts in that specialty then? And if I did that, wouldn't I be obligated to let my current PD know?

I considered emailing the postgrad Dean and asking them about how to proceed, but I also don't know if it seems too eager and that reflects poorly on me to contact them before the 6-months mark? I mean I do genuinely want to give my current specialty a try, just that with my first year not having any electives, I feel like I am forced to and I HAVE to start letting people know my intentions right away. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

You should definitely look into your school's PGME transfer policy. They usually have it explicitly outlined the steps to be taken; in general, I believe what happens is that you let your school's PGME know your intention to transfer, and they contact other schools for you to see if there's an opening in that specialty. There's also an AFMC transfer policy that outlines everything that is to happen.

Yes I have looked into it and the policy is that I should send the Dean an email any time after Jan 31st of the first year of residency, then the Dean will talk to the PD of the program that I'm interested in, and if there's a chance for transfer then I'll be told to talk to that PD. If there is absolutely no chance, then the Dean will bring up the issue at some provincial meeting where he'll tell PDs at other programs in the province that they have an applicant who wishes to transfer. 

I'm more wondering about how to improve my chances I guess--sorry, I should've been more clear. I've been hearing that I need to do electives and even publish papers in the specialty that I want to transfer into in order to obtain a successful transfer. And I'm just not sure how exactly that can happen if I don't get any elective time in my first year. And how can I publish papers in this specialty if according to the school policy I should only contact the PD after speaking to the Dean and "approved" by the Dean to talk to the PD? 

First of all, I'm sorry you didn't end up in what you wanted.

In my experience, flexibility for transfers has been decreasing over the years (maybe even moreso this year with all the new spots created for unmatched students). Older staff have told me it used to be as simple as writing an email to PGME.

Your best and easiest chance is definitely within the same institution, because there'll be no issues with funding. I wouldn't email anyone about it right away, I think that sets the wrong tone. Maybe wait a 1-2 months into residency. You have time - transfer decisions don't happen until February, so an elective can be arranged for the late fall. If you only want to do shifts/call on top of your regular duties, then you don't have to tell your own PD. But I think you'd benefit way more from an actual elective. That's where talking to your PD might help. If they're supportive, they might let you do an elective in place of a core rotation - I've seen that happen.

Good luck. There's also 2nd round CaRMS (not sure if your specialty usually has spots open).

• 3 months later...

Hey I've been looking into this process myself, and I saw that at the end, you have to request a release from your current PD.

What happens if they refuse? Do they have the power to trap you in the program and refuse you from leaving?

Also, at what point are you supposed to contact the dean? At the beginning when you're considering a transfer? Or at the middle? Should you be contacting PD of the program you're interested in on your own? What if they decide to write your current PD?

I have a lot of questions.. if there's someone who's gone through the process wouldn't mind communicating, please let me know by pm!

14 hours ago, abc123def456 said:

Hey I've been looking into this process myself, and I saw that at the end, you have to request a release from your current PD.

What happens if they refuse? Do they have the power to trap you in the program and refuse you from leaving?

Also, at what point are you supposed to contact the dean? At the beginning when you're considering a transfer? Or at the middle? Should you be contacting PD of the program you're interested in on your own? What if they decide to write your current PD?

I have a lot of questions.. if there's someone who's gone through the process wouldn't mind communicating, please let me know by pm!

what program

On 5/30/2018 at 9:38 PM, worldpeace said:

Hello,

I am about to start residency in July, and I'm considering trying to transfer to another residency program (my first-choice specialty when I did CaRMS this year). I matched to my second-choice specialty in the first iteration and I am suspecting I might not be 100% fulfilled in it. It's going to be a 5-year to 5-year program transfer. 

My question is, the first year of the program I'm going into doesn't have any elective time. Should I be reaching out to the PD of the program that I want and asking to do some call/shifts in that specialty then? And if I did that, wouldn't I be obligated to let my current PD know?

I considered emailing the postgrad Dean and asking them about how to proceed, but I also don't know if it seems too eager and that reflects poorly on me to contact them before the 6-months mark? I mean I do genuinely want to give my current specialty a try, just that with my first year not having any electives, I feel like I am forced to and I HAVE to start letting people know my intentions right away. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

I think that you have to contact your own PGME and there is usually someone responsible for transfer who can walk you through the process.

I would advise not discuss transfers with your current PD, the chance of transfer is quite low during residency, and you don't want to leave an impression that you are unhappy in your current program for the next 5 years. 

Archived