4 replies to this topic

#1 docdocgoosey

docdocgoosey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:36 AM

Fellow confused non-trad here...

MCAT 3x rewrite: 127 (PHYS/CHEM) 129 (CARS) 129 (BIO/BIOCHEM) 129 (PSYCH)

BSc

cGPA: 3.57

sGPA: somewhere around 3.3

upward trend 

full-time course load

MSc (course-based)

cGPA: 3.9

Western wGPA: 3.91

Queen's wGPA: 3.91

Toronto wGPA: 3.78

Ottawa wGPA: 3.74

Mac cGPA: 3.57

Dalhousie wGPA: 3.91

UBC wGPA: 84.8 

Calgary wGPA: below 3.8 cut-off

Alberta wGPA: around 3.7

Saskatchewan wGPA: below 83% cut-off

Manitoba wGPA: around 4.0/4.5

Ontario resident

1 first author pub and probably 2 more submitted by end of summer, hospital volunteering, tutoring, TA, regional sports and competitions, coach, suicide prevention hotline, clinical research and unique volunteering abroad, 1 international graduate conference, 2 undergraduate conferences (1 small, 1 national level), club exec, club founder, research assistant on 3 studies, unique employment in healthcare, 20k in scholarships over academic career, small-time writing awards, work for a few journals

Doesn't seem like another degree will increase my GPA to a competitive level and I already have the grades for best two year schools. I am also unsure how to finance another degree since I've used OSAP for all of my first degree. I need to start working in September so where will I find the time and money to study full-time? Financing DO or MD schools in the states is out of the question.

My MCAT is good for Western at the moment, but that can easily change if the cut-offs shift. Queens is a question mark, Mac is an uphill climb. I am below the undergraduate pool cut-offs for Toronto. For what it's worth, I can provide documentation to better justify my lower GPA. I probably don't have enough "productivity" to be considered in the graduate pool. I did french immersion and french courses in uni so I can speak and understand French well, but my average is still too low for the Ottawa french pool. I have a maritime connection for Dalhousie: I interned in Nova Scotia for a few months and also worked on a study where I interacted exclusively with maritime residents. I'm below UBC OOP cut-offs, and my GPA for the other out-of-province schools is abysmal.

Do I re-write MCAT? If so, I will have to wait until next cycle to apply because this summer is too busy. I'm worried I'm reaching my MCAT peak; my score has only improved by 2 points at every sitting. This could be beneficial if I do better in CARS and BIO, but there is no guarantee. If a second degree is my best option, can anyone comment or PM me about how they financed it?

Really appreciate it!!

#2 t0ny

t0ny

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:58 AM

Unforunately it's your MCAT that is holding you back. As someone that wrote it 3 times, I know how painful it can be to even think about rewriting it again. That being said, I think it's your best chance. Your other option would be doing a second UG in order to make yourself eligible for Ottawa by getting a 4.0 .

McGill Medicine 2021

It took me 7 years to get 1 interview and 1 acceptance. Don't give up.

#3 CXR

CXR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:40 AM

Unforunately it's your MCAT that is holding you back. As someone that wrote it 3 times, I know how painful it can be to even think about rewriting it again. That being said, I think it's your best chance. Your other option would be doing a second UG in order to make yourself eligible for Ottawa by getting a 4.0 .

What are you talking about? What schools would he benefit from with a new MCAT? 

I would personally not rewrite. As t0ny mentioned, the best way to open up more schools in Canada is a second UG, but you could honestly probably land McMaster by prepping well for CASPER and possibly Queens by selling yourself in a strong way. As you mentioned, you should have Western.

• trimethoprim and yup like this

Schulich Meds 2020

#4 t0ny

t0ny

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

What are you talking about? What schools would he benefit from with a new MCAT? 

I would personally not rewrite. As t0ny mentioned, the best way to open up more schools in Canada is a second UG, but you could honestly probably land McMaster by prepping well for CASPER and possibly Queens by selling yourself in a strong way. As you mentioned, you should have Western.

127 is low for P/S, and 129 CARS is borderline for Western for instance. I was by no means saying his score was bad, he was asking what needed improvement in his application. 

McGill Medicine 2021

It took me 7 years to get 1 interview and 1 acceptance. Don't give up.

#5 m_jacob_45

m_jacob_45

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

I would personally not rewrite the mcat and try to make yourself as competitive as possible (improve ECs) at Queens, Mac and Western, with Western and Queens being your best chances. I think not rewriting is definitely preferable since there is a good chance you may decrease your CARS or B/B on a rewrite, disqualifying yourself from Western even if your overall score improves. At this point, I think the best thing to do is to make sure your ABS is as well written as possible for Queens and that you practise a lot for CASPer, and hope that Western's cutoffs don't change.  Good luck! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users