Premed 101 Forums

Applying in 3rd year very LOW gpa

I'm going into third year this fall and I'm thinking about applying to only McMaster. My GPA is very very low and will literally only meet the cut off which is like a 3.0. I am currently taking organic chemistry this summer so those will finish in August. I am also working part-time. I was considering booking the MCAT for the beginning of September and only focusing on the CARS section. I've done a couple of CARS question and that's the only part I'm relatively good at. I want to apply this year just to see how the process is tbh. The only medical school I really want to go to is MAC. However, I'm only gonna reach the cut-off. Do you guys think I should try applying this year? 

MAC is a cumulative GPA school where they look at all your grades from day one of undergrad.  Other schools like Queens / Western / UofT / Ottawa have alternate weighted wGPA formulas that let you drop years / courses from your GPA.

IMHO your 2 year GPA will exclude you from being successful for an interview at MAC.   While GPA is only 33% of the interview equation, you would need to be in the top +98% of both Casper / CARS to get that interview.

I don't see much value in formally applying at this point.   You could write Casper for the experience (but don't need to apply to do that). You wont ever get a "grade" on Casper anyways so will not ever know how you really did.

If you can get a +3.95 GPA in 3rd/4th year, it might change the landscape.   You will likely have better success if you can ace years 3 and 4 and apply to Queens/Ottawa/UofT.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MacMed2018 said:

Unfortunately, a very low GPA is a huge disadvantage at Mac.  In my opinion, whether to apply depends on your CARS performance.  If it's less than 128, then even a perfect CASPer performance will probably not be enough to secure an interview.

Would you say someone with a ~ 3.8 GPA would have a fair chance at Mac (applying in 3rd yr)  ? Given average perfromance on CARS and CASPer ? 

Archived