Premed 101 Forums

2018 CCFP exam

I have now written and passed my CCFP,  so no one can accuse me of having any particular axe to grind.  Does anyone else think the exam is full of fluff?  The SAMP portion was challenging at times, but had several what am I thinking questions in regards to mental health scenarios.  I also found it heavily guideline based vs assessing other forms of clinical knowledge.  The way that the SOO portion is set up is also somewhat strange; purely history based with the candidate tasked with finding "the second issue" as well as taking a comprehensive social history.  Completely unrelated to the realities of everyday clinical family medicine.  In my opinion, the LMCC part II is much more related to common primary care issues (despite the fact all specialities must do this exam) and a better test of family medicine skills than the CCFP SOO.  Any other FM residents have any thoughts on this?

I wrote and passed the exam this year as well.  I find the SOOs ridiculous.  It didn't test much in the way of medical knowledge and just forced you to learn how to do the exam (Issue one, FIFE, Issue 2 FIFE, Management, Find common ground).  

The SAMPs were a little better but I did not feel they tested much depth of knowledge.  For example, a question on stroke barely scratched the surface on what I knew about managing acute stroke yet I still feel I didn't nail it due to one or two "guess what I'm thinking questions".  I'm sure it helped somewhat but I didn't feel studying more would have changed my score all that much.  There were very few questions where I straight up didn't know the material.  Usually it was just trying to figure out what the hell they wanted me to put down.

SAMPs were OK for me last year. The SOOs are...interesting to say the least. I felt the LMCC Part II in terms of scoring was more indicative of the clinical knowledge that I need for family practice, but now that I have been in full independent practice for nearly a year, I can see the value in the SOOs. The focus is more on the soft skills of family medicine, which I have to admit is pretty paramount to  being a good family physician. You can have all the medical knowledge in the world, but if you come off as cold and distant as a family physician, patients and more importantly the general public lose trust in you and end up going elsewhere for their care or they disparage the profession.

I disagree

LMCC 2 is such a waste of time. Basically very simulated OCSE exam that is not reflective of real life. Actors sometimes do not portray their rules well and basically you trying to hit their check lists in order to score points (not how real exam is done, but superficially going over them to get points in the alloted time)

SOO is actually useful, you really need to nail down the fife, it helps to organize you interviews and flesh out patient expectations, a lot of times they will tell you what you really need to know in order to provide patient sensitive care.

agree with samp being "guess what I am thinking" majority of the time, I felt like I know the topics, but a lot of time unsure what specific answer they are looking for because the question stem is so vague. A USMLE/ family medicine boards type of exam in place of samp i think would be more beneficial in terms of assessing knowledge base I think

On 6/18/2018 at 1:52 AM, deathvvv said:

I disagree

LMCC 2 is such a waste of time. Basically very simulated OCSE exam that is not reflective of real life. Actors sometimes do not portray their rules well and basically you trying to hit their check lists in order to score points (not how real exam is done, but superficially going over them to get points in the alloted time)

I would apply this exact description to the SOO's.  15 minutes to take an extensive medical and social history without doing even a cursory physical exam is not indicative of real life.  Every candidate memorized the formula for a SOO (problem 1, FIFE, plan, problem 2, FIFE, plan, random social history = pass).  I would argue the SOO stations are much less reflective of real life than the LMCC.  Also, if you can't FIFE by the time you are done medical school, i don't have much hope for you as a physician.  That is something that should be tested before someone starts residency.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...