Premed 101 Forums

Nutrition to Medicine/Really need some advice

Hi, 

I am a nutrition student from Ryerson U, just finished my third year. I had always wanted to become a doctor when I was in high school. But because I have a low-income background and am first-gen student and immigrant, I had lots of self-doubts. I then chose to pursue the dietetics and become a Registered Dietitian. After three years of undergrad studies and various working and volunteering experiences, I gain more confidence and maturity, so I really want to switch to medicine and pursue my childhood dream. I have some questions about my next steps.

My grades:

First year (five courses/semester, full-time): 3.96 

Second year (five courses/semester, full-time): 3.99

Third year (four courses/semester, full-time): 4.00

Extra-Curricular Activities: 

2 year- Clinical experience in visiting patients, job shadowing a dietitian 

1 year - Community Diabetes Program volunteer 

Worked in a non-profit and at school in the career centre

Research assistant at a nutrition lab in my first & second year, and now doing some research with my prof 

Vice president of a student group in food policy

Have a business start-up in sports goods 

These are some of my questions and concerns: 

(1) Pre-requisites: I have taken science courses in my program (1 year physiology, 1 year biochem (no lab), 1 semester Gen Chem (with lab), 1 semester Organic Chem (with lab), some nutrition sciences, psychology minor). Because my sciences courses are done in my nutrition program so they may be a bit easier than the regular courses that science students take, so my concern is that med schools will not count these courses as pre-requisites. 

(2) Grades: Because I started a new student group, worked part-time and have a start-up during my third year, so I took only four courses per semester and with one online course each semester, I regretted about it as I saw that some schools like UofT and Western don't like students taking four courses. Will it really impact my application? 

(3) Extra Curricular: Most of my extra-curricular activities centred around nutrition and food, do I need more experiences? What other experiences am I missing? Any suggestions?

(4) My final undergrad year: I feel very lost when choosing courses for my final undergrad year. If I am not going to pursue dietetics, I won't need to take the nutrition professional courses. Schools like Western want students to study at least 3 courses that are published as the year of and above (e.g., fourth-year students should take fourth-year courses). But in my program, there are no such courses as fourth year. In the curriculum, there is only 1 mandatory course for my fourth year and I can choose all the courses that are either professional related or open-electives. So I am confused. Should I take the regular nutrition courses or take some science courses and pre-requisites (e.g., Stats) in my final year?

(5) MCAT: I am planning to study MCAT full-time next summer for three months and write it in August. For someone like me with only some/minimal science background, is it possible to cram all the info within three months?

Thanks for reading my long post. I really appreciate you help and advice. :)

• 9 months later...

Hi! 

I finished all the required courses + internships for dietetics at mcgill and am taking an extra semester to do the pre-reqs (that weren't required as part of the dietetics degree). I am planning to take the MCAT in sept 2020. Hit me up if you would like to be MCAT study buddies or simply want to connect! 

Take your professional courses. Dietetics is an amazing back-up plan if it takes you a while to get into medical school, or if you never get in.

Anecdotally, I know at least 2 graduates of Guelph's Applied Human Nutrition program, and at least 2 graduates of Western/Brescia's Dietetics program who were later accepted to medical school. So it is definitely possible. At least 2 of those 4 individuals obtained their RD designation before being accepted to medical school. As I said, it's a great health care back-up plan. No doubt there are many more from other programs who have also made the transition.