Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesia at UBC

Guest moo

Anyone know how strong their program is? I'm in the process of setting up a 4th year elective with them and want to know any thoughts from anyone who's rotated through there. How do the different sites (VGH, St Paul's, Children's) compare?

• 1 month later...
Guest macmed04

Hi there. Sorry this answer is so late!

I'm actually not sure how strong their program is - all I know is that one girl in my graduating class matched there and was very happy to be going. I think UBC in general is very popular, and I also think the general consensus is that it doesn't really matter so much where you train, as you'll get good training in anesthesiology at any medical school in Canada.

The best thing to do might be to get some email addresses of current residents from the department and email them to ask where would be a good place to do the elective.

Good luck.

Macmed04

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LoveMcGill

Very competitive program because:

It's in Vancouver - weather, activities, ect

The pay - darn good residents salary

The program is pretty good. Nice thing is you can get a licence as a GP-anesthestist after 2 years which allows you to take a year off or some shorter period of time to work as a GPA in BC (Mmmmm, full billings, no residents salary). Some residents don't come back.

• 6 months later...

I'll be rotating there in August. I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

Anyone know job prospects for GP-A's? Are they similar to CRNAs (nurse anesthestists) in the US? I'm really not interested in academics at all and would much prefer to do a 3 year residency as opposed to a 4-5 year program. But if the job prospects aren't good, then I'll pass on that. I wouldn't mind working in a small community hospital in a suburb of Vancouver; in fact I would prefer that over working at VGH, St. Paul's or other tertiary care center.

• 3 months later...

Archived