Premed 101 Forums

Med Plus Program At Brock University

Guest EngineeringStud

Guest EngineeringStud

Hi Everyone,

I did a search on this and nothing has come up. I am applying for this fall. It looks like a good way to gain volunteer experience and to add some weight to a med school application.

Has anyone been through this program? Any thoughts?

I remember looking at this program as well, but from what I could tell it really didn't offer anything that could not be persued on your own... Volunteer opportunities, physicians to talk to, or whatnot.

If you were planning on heading to Brock in the first place, it may be worth some weight of consideration, but personally, I wouldn't use the MedPlus program as my sole deciding factor in which U to attend.

Anyone else?

This thread briefly discusses the MedPlus program--the question comes up from time to time, and to date no MedPlus students have responded. Maybe there will be some out there this time. :)

Edited to Add: I saw a whole tour of MedPlus students at school the other day... they looked pretty happy :)

• 2 months later...
Guest EngineeringStud

Thanks for your responses (and for not screaming at me to search [i looked for 'Med Plus' instead of 'MedPlus'] :\ )

I got accepted into the program and am contemplating my options (that would be the primary reason for me to attend Brock).

The thing I like best about it is that I don't have to worry about finding my own volunteer and shadowing positions.

If I go for it I will definitely post my thoughts.

Guest makdaddy08

Isn't there that saying..."if you've got the IQ of a rock, you can go to Brock"

j/k

Undergrad doesn't really matter too much, so I'm sure this program would do you just fine for getting into med school. However its not one of the more popular ones amongst my class at least. Most of the ppl in my class are from the Mac HealthSci program...couple from Queens Lifesci (which i've also heard is an excellent program).

But dont' worry...ppl come from all sorts of undergrad programs and degrees...there is no one "success formula" type program that will substantially improve your chances.

Guest MDSMelissa

Hello,

I just saw this thread now, so I guess I will be the first Med Plus Grad to respond.

On the whole, I am glad that I was in Med Plus. Not because it hooked me up with volunteer placements or job shadowing (I found better ones on my own), but because it gave me the opportunity to explore many career paths and speak to many different health care professionals, and by the end of the four years, I was absolutely postive that I wanted to go into medicine. I know you say you can do this on your own, but really, will you force yourself to sit and talk with someone for 2 hours/week? When I entered university, I wanted to be a physician, but Med Plus helped me open my eyes to other possibilities, and I can tell you, in second year, I wanted a different career every week! Having gone through these experiences was helpful during applications and interviews because I could justify that I was confident in my career choice.

However, Med Plus isn't for everyone. Almost half of my class dropped out after 2nd year because they decided they didn't want to be physicians anymore. The program is for all students going into a health profession, but it's mostly geared for pre-meds.

So far that I know, of all graduated Med Plus Students (not including this year) 6 out of the 8 that have applied have entered medical school.

Here is the website: www.brocku.ca/experienceplus/medplus/

I hope this is of some help!

Melissa

P.S. I also loved Brock...:D

Guest TyShams
Isn't there that saying..."if you've got the IQ of a rock, you can go to Brock"

LOL, I heard something to the effect of "If you have a pulse and you can talk, then you can go to Brock." Apparently these phrases have stemmed from the fact that Brock attracts allot of Varsity wrestlers, who aren't necessarily the brightest apples in the bushel.

Guest 0nsp

Hey!! Shuttup about the varsity wrestlers man!! :b I'm a varsity wrestler, and will be entering med school this fall. So either your statement is inaccurate, or med school is so ridiculously easy to get into that even the "not so bright apples" can do it. I vote for the former, since my buddy graduated med school and won the Grey cup in the same week, 2 years after representing Canada at the World University games for wrestling. From a starting roster of 10, half of us will be academic all-canadians this year. Maybe your statement is more suited to those slacking basketball players. :rollin Then again, Brock isn't known for basketball... Time to stop ranting.

Archived