Premed 101 Forums

UBC Anesthesia Elective at Port Moody

Anes2013

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could share their experience with Anesthesia at Port Moody? I currently have an elective schedule but I just got a spot at Mac for the same elective period.

Matching to Vancouver would be a pretty good option for me, but I was wondering about the experience at Port Moody and if it's worth doing an elective there since it's not one of the central hospitals in Vancouver. Not sure if I would be exposed to the committee members for admission. The Mac elective would be a lot easier to organize for me and would be more cost friendly since I live in the east.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could share their experience with Anesthesia at Port Moody? I currently have an elective schedule but I just got a spot at Mac for the same elective period.

Matching to Vancouver would be a pretty good option for me, but I was wondering about the experience at Port Moody and if it's worth doing an elective there since it's not one of the central hospitals in Vancouver. Not sure if I would be exposed to the committee members for admission. The Mac elective would be a lot easier to organize for me and would be more cost friendly since I live in the east.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

That's a tough call. You are highly unlikely to cross paths with committee members in Port Moody. That being said, UBC has in the past said that doing an elective is NOT a key factor in being selected for an interview (cf. Ottawa).

Doing an elective out there will definitely suffice to show a willingness to move but then UBC tends to be a little smug in their belief that anyone in their right mind would want to live in Vancouver so....

In terms of your actual anesthesia experience, you won't get to see many big cases out there but that may not be so important to you at this stage of the game.

Well, I guess that wasn't that helpful but its all I could come up with at this hour! Good luck!

Archived