Premed 101 Forums

Extracurriculars - Stellar Vs. Average

Hi All,

Just wondering what types of ECs typically stand out, vs. simply add only quantity to your list.

I've taken on multiple leadership roles in uni clubs, done some shadowing, a few summers of basic reserach (no pubs, simply helping with a bunch of different projects), some volunteering at a hospital and library (not as much as I wish I had), etc.

Just wondering what I can start doing this year, to improve my application for next year. Do any type of specific volunteering experiences stand out?

Hi All,

Just wondering what types of ECs typically stand out, vs. simply add only quantity to your list.

I've taken on multiple leadership roles in uni clubs, done some shadowing, a few summers of basic reserach (no pubs, simply helping with a bunch of different projects), some volunteering at a hospital and library (not as much as I wish I had), etc.

Just wondering what I can start doing this year, to improve my application for next year. Do any type of specific volunteering experiences stand out?

Don't worry about what you think will stand out....do things you will enjoy/learn from/grow from as a person. The best ECs are the ones that you will be able to talk about sincerely and meaningfully during an interview and not just tick off a box in your head that you feel is necessary for medicine.

I don't really think there's a clear line between 'stellar' and 'average' EC's.

Do you have strong EC's? I'd say yes. Are they cookie-cutter? I'd say yes again. There's nothing wrong with having these sorts of EC's but make sure you do things that you enjoy.

I don't really think there's a clear line between 'stellar' and 'average' EC's.

Do you have strong EC's? I'd say yes. Are they cookie-cutter? I'd say yes again. There's nothing wrong with having these sorts of EC's but make sure you do things that you enjoy.

If you really wanted to make a 'clear line' between stellar and average ECs, it'd probably be success. Not necessarily in regards to peer recognition (i.e. trophies, publications, etc), but did you have goals and accomplish them?

It really depends on the person. I understand what you're trying to get at, but I would say something like hospital room volunteering is typical in that it is fairly common. A more "stellar" extra curricular would be something more uncommon. For example, being recognized provincially for something. Something that few people can claim that they've done. But by saying this I am by no means bashing someone with hospital volunteering, a huge factor is what you make out of your experiences! :)

Choose ECs that are of interest.  If you are passionate about the activities you are involved in, or the organizations you volunteer with, that is likely to come across in your descriptions, and especially in your interviews.  Don't worry if they are "average" or "stellar."  Do things that you enjoy doing.  As has already been said, if you can link your activiites to the CANMeds roles/traits that certainly helps.

Every EC has value, but some likely have more impact. Shadowing, for example, is a fairly low-yield EC. It shows interest in medicine, which is important, and you can gain a good perspective on being a physician. Yet, there's no responsibility involved, nor any real barrier to doing the activity (besides finding someone to let you shadow them). Basically, anyone could do it and nothing happens to anyone else if you don't.

Compare this to working with a physician on a project, say to run recreational activities for people recovering from a stroke (to make something up off the top of my head). A job like this often requires some vetting by those working on the project, certainly carries some responsibility that, if neglected, would adversely affect others. Furthermore, it demonstrates that not only are you developing skills, but that you can apply them productively and, presumably, successfully. ECs that have some responsibility or some real risk of failure - either because the EC is difficult to obtain or difficult to complete - increasingly seem to be looked upon favourably by Adcoms. More importantly, they have far more value as you develop yourself as a professional.

This is why paid work's value seems to be rising. This is why overseas volunteering's value is falling.

A lot of traditional ECs fall into the first camp - shadowing, hospital volunteering, etc. They're a great first step, because they definitely impart knowledge and demonstrate interest in the field, while helping to develop contacts for future ECs. But they can't be an end-point. It'd be like wanting to play in the NHL without ever having played in a competitive hockey league.

I'll agree that when it comes to the type of EC you do, it's much better to do what you like than to do what you think Adcoms will like. But within those broad categories of ECs, depth does matter (and it's easier to go deeper in a field of work you enjoy doing). Participating in varsity athletics will always mean more than participating in intramurals. Doing something productive for a physician will always matter more than simply following them around. You don't need depth in everything you do - that would cause anyone to lose their sanity. I loved my intramural sports and proudly listed them. But they weren't my headlining ECs. You've got to have something others didn't do or couldn't have done. I see many applicants with diverse ECs with little responsibility get rejected and wonder why. I truly think that's what separates average ECs from stellar ones - how much does it matter that you did your work during that EC well, and how hard would it be to replace you?

Archived