Premed 101 Forums

Accepted And Have Questions

Hey guys, 

so I've been accepted to the U of A and will be choosing to stay here rather than other options. As I start thinking about I realized a lot of people probably have a ton of questions about U of A, Edmonton, living here etc. I know I would if I was moving away. 

MOST OF ALL I AM VERY EXCITED TO MEET THE CLASS. I FEEL LIKE WE HAVE JOINED A FAMILY TOGETHER. 

I have lived in Edmonton my whole life so if anyone has questions about where to live, stuff to do in Edmonton, what the U of A facilities are like etc. I am here to answer some questions and help out my future colleagues. Like I said, can't wait to meet everyone. 

Also...rumour has it that once you accept your invitation you are invited to a Facebook group with everyone in your class so that's an option for questions too. 

What sort of recreational opportunities are there at UoA? Gyms, sports leagues, etc.

Also, do you know if med students can participate in non-med clubs at the university? By non-med, I mean other undergraduate students.

What sort of recreational opportunities are there at UoA? Gyms, sports leagues, etc.

Also, do you know if med students can participate in non-med clubs at the university? By non-med, I mean other undergraduate students.

New renovated gym, few sports clubs and teams, swimming pools, rock climbing wall, etc. Definitely take advantage of it!

Yes!! Some clubs may not allow med kids to be executives on the groups but Ive known tons of med students being part of general university groups (not just undergrads btw). 

What are housing options near the campus? Obviously the winters can get rough there- are there decent apartment complexes nearby?

Also, iirc, the train passes right by campus- is that train station close to the med lectures? I guess what I'm asking is if it's better to live nearby or further away and just take the train?

Thanks!

What are housing options near the campus? Obviously the winters can get rough there- are there decent apartment complexes nearby?

Also, iirc, the train passes right by campus- is that train station close to the med lectures? I guess what I'm asking is if it's better to live nearby or further away and just take the train?

Thanks!

With regards to housing, the uni is located in a really convenient location, bordering some nice residential neighbourhoods. Alternatively, there's also a lot of apartment complexes in the area due to it's proximity to Whyte ave (the "trendy" street of Edmonton). Downtown is also right across the river so that is a decent option as well.

Regarding transportation, there is literally an LRT stop called "Health Sciences" which is adjacent to all the relevant med buildings, and it's connected to all of them via pedways.

One other note on some recreational opportunities... The med class has soccer, hockey, etc etc etc. teams that are for the med students. There is absolutely a ton of opportunities and there's lots of general undergrad opportunities too. I know a lot of people who come to Edmonton for medicine and start playing hockey for the first time. 

By the way, the gym is awesome!

In my personal opinion... if you are looking to save money then finding a place north or south of campus along the LRT line is a good choice. The LRT is included in our fees so we can take it wherever and it drops you off at the door of the lectures essentially. I think it would probably be a 3 minute walk. 

Hey Economist... I'm not in med (yet) but I know there is a STIM program where you can do research in the summers and get the STIM added to your MD degree. The STIM is MD with special training in research. 

Here is a link with info: http://www.med.ualberta.ca/programs/mdstir

Also... from personal experience at the U of A I think it is so easy to get research opportunities. I did research after first year and got to shadow etc. so getting a position as a medical student should be even easier. Most profs at the U of A and researchers will take you on for a project with an email or two to them. 

Hi Hopeful..thanks for starting this thread! I was wondering what type of things people do in their spare time in Alberta. Are there a lot of outdoor things to do (hiking, biking trails, etc.)? How about night life? Thanks in advance.

Alberta is kind of like a poor man's B.C. with regards to outdoor activities. Unlike Calgary, Edmonton is more of a prairie city, but if you're looking for mountains for hiking or skiing, Banff/Canmore/Jasper are all ~3.5hrs away, which is more than reasonable for a weekend stay, or even some day trips if you're dedicated. Edmonton does have a beautiful river valley however with all kinds of bike trails, parks, etc. I think I've heard some statistic that it's the largest green space in any major north american city? Something like that anyways. 

Night life in Edmonton usually boils down to either Whyte ave or downtown. Whyte ave typically attracts a younger crowd (as in like, "is that person even 18?") and downtown is usually a bit older crowds, but it isn't quite as convenient to get to compared to Whyte. Either way there's usually quite a lot going on for any given night - no need to worry here.

Alberta is a poor man's BC haha. Great comment. I would say that's fairly accurate but there's also some things Alberta wins over BC. For me it's the outdoor rinks that most places in BC can't make. The river valley is awesome though and campus is basically on the river valley. There's actually a ton of cool things to in and around it. There's 3? ski hills in Edmonton but they are VERY small. Like the poster above said, the rockies are the place to go skiing. 

I live east of the city in the country and there's a couple cool things to do that I know of out here. Lots of people don't know about the blackfoot provincial park which has some cool hiking and cross country skiing trails. 

Archived