Premed 101 Forums

GPA dilemma

Hello everyone,

I have just finished my 1st year in undergrad. I have a bit of a dilemma with my GPA, because although most of my courses were finished with 4.0s, and a few 3.9s, one of my courses I have finished with a 3.3. I just fucked it up really badly, and couldn't see myself doing well in the course. My GPA without weighting drops to just under a 3.9, whereas with weighting, at U of T I'll have a 3.95 I believe.

Some med schools, such as McMaster for example, look at all 4 years of your GPA and don't apply any weighting formulas. I'm curious as to how badly this disadvantages me, and if there's any particular med schools that I should apply to (and any particular med schools that I shouldn't apply to.) I ask because if I have around a 3.86 as my un-weighted GPA, it's quite difficult to bring it back into the 3.95+ range which would make me really competitive for Ontario med schools.

Thank you for reading!

-musicboy

You're still plenty competitive for McMaster, GPA is only 33% of Mac's pre-interview selection. The only Ontario schools I can think of where having a sub-3.95 GPA might make you less competitive are Ottawa and UofT.  Don't worry too much, and do your best the next few years! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 3:40 PM, Canadian_Med_Dream said:

Your GPA is excellent and please, don't stress too much about it. I know getting a 3.3 amongst 3.9s and 4.0s can seem like the end of the world, but you are really not at a disadvantage for most of the Ontario schools.

• Western's cut off is around 3.85 (and from what I understand is - as long as you make the cutoff you're fine)
  • Queens accepts a lot of candidates with 3.85. Queen looks at the last two years only
  • Having a 3.95 for UofT is excellent (I know some with 3.92s who have gotten in as well)
  • If you're from the north, 3.86 is stellar for NOSM
  • You may still have chances for Ottawa, since their cutoff is 3.85. The higher the GPA the better. But I think if you have an above average ECs and CASPER score, you may have a chance for Ottawa. I heard they're going to look at MCAT too in the near future, so you never know how the weighting changes 

GOOD LUCK, and great job in university so far. That's an amazing GPA. 

Excellent info. Just a correction: Western is 3.7. 

Archived