Premed 101 Forums

RN to MD (DO US programs most likely)

Hey everybody,

Graduated from a university in Ontario with a BScN and achieved honours, albeit barely. My total GPA was a 5.51 which is the equivalent to a 2.7 (70%) I believe. Third year was 2.81 and fourth year 3.32. I'm not competitive for any schools in Canada at this time (I have some solid ECs, volunteering and life experience, nursing has provided me with lots, just not a solid gpa :P). I work at one of the top hospitals in Toronto but my desire to become an MD has not faded and i'm ready to face the music. I have my reasons for the poor performance but I need to move on and I believe I am ready to do so. My plan is to take pre-reqs at a university a-la-carte (DIY Post Bacc) and show an upward trend and then write the MCAT and apply to DO schools in the states. I could nurse there and get a green card which would allow me to apply as a US citizen and increase my chances. Wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation; whether it be applying to DO schools or raising your GPA up to a competitive level. Advice is appreciated.

Thanks

If you plan on returning to Canada, be aware that DO graduates are considered IMG's like students graduating from the Caribbean, Ireland, or Australia. 

I don't think obtaining a green card is that simple, but if it is as straightforward as it sounds - I think your strategy sounds decent.

A 2.7 GPA is very hard to climb up from by doing additional courses here and there. You'd really want to look at doing a second undergraduate degree, or taking advantage of some clause for mature students. For instance, I believe U of Calgary has a 10 year clause where grades from courses 10 years prior will not be looked at (something on those lines, please double check).

Best of luck

48 minutes ago, FeelingTheBern said:

If you plan on returning to Canada, be aware that DO graduates are considered IMG's like students graduating from the Caribbean, Ireland, or Australia. 

I don't think obtaining a green card is that simple, but if it is as straightforward as it sounds - I think your strategy sounds decent.

A 2.7 GPA is very hard to climb up from by doing additional courses here and there. You'd really want to look at doing a second undergraduate degree, or taking advantage of some clause for mature students. For instance, I believe U of Calgary has a 10 year clause where grades from courses 10 years prior will not be looked at (something on those lines, please double check).

Best of luck

Do you know of any 2-3 year undergraduate degree programs that people have taken and had good success with?

Archived