Premed 101 Forums

Interview Prep Tips

Hey, I noticed that some people had some troubles with the interview section of their applications, and other potential applicants who might want to know, I thought to just give a little of my own opinion on the matter:

I didn't do any formal prep (with packages or anything), and mainly just read some free sample questions. First, I wrote down some things I would talk about and then actually talk about it and time myself. Eventually I wouldn't write things down and just start (so to practise impromptu organization). Being that MMI's give you 8 minutes to answer, they are expecting very well thought out answers and detailed -- sometimes you might think something is obvious, but it doesn't hurt to point it out. Except for the one question at the UA MMI, I didn't have any trouble filling up all of the time without repeating myself multiple times or stop to ask for supplemental questions. 

The way I approached each question was to ask:

1. Who are the parties involved and what different perspectives are there? Explain in detail what and why those perspectives are the way that they are, point out any conflicts, alignments, what can be negotiated, what cannot etc. and then explain what each should do or what you would do in that situation.

2. Although you are showing that there can be and there are different perspectives, if it's a "one or the other" decision, then give your stance, don't be wishy-washy. Instead, explain why given all considerations, your stance is the best.

3. It's important not to repeat yourself too much of course, but I think it's also good (in my last minute after hearing the whistle), to wrap up the last point and give a overall summary of what was said, so the interviewer is not lost in all the things you managed to spew out in the few minutes prior.

Some things to consider when it comes to the questions are:

1. who are the under-represented groups? show your empathy towards the weaker (doesn't mean give them everything, but just show sensitivity and understanding)

2. look at every aspect of concern (physically to us humans, but also psychological concerns, environmental issues etc.) 

3. have you had personal experience that can relate? As long as you are not taking all the time to explain the extraneous background, you are showing that you have life experiences, do things outside of school, and that your answer is not pure conjecture and theoretical, but have had some real life application to solidify what you are saying (In my MMI, across multiple questions obviously, I mentioned work experience, what I learned in a particular class at school, doing research and other things)

When answering questions:

1. give quick overview of the question in your own words (especially helpful to those who have difficulty filling up the time)

2. outline of the perspectives you will be talking about (if you know, if not, then organize by chronological order as to what you would do first ,second etc.)

3. talk about each in detail, relate to experience only when relevant!

4. at the end wrap up what you talked about 

5. remember to keep eye contact, try not to say uhh and umms too much, use gestures, be comfortable and smile! 

Every year the questions differ of course, but there seems to be always a question related to current events (and it will be like something super big that everyone knows about). So just pay a little more attention to the news, social media etc. For those of you who did the UA interview this year, you'll know what I'm talking about ;) I sort of predicted this question actually...

PS: think of your 5 paragraph essay structure back in highschool, it will help haha 

Archived