Premed 101 Forums

Removable Partial Denture designer software

Hello fellas, I'm still new to this forum and I'm not sure where to post this topic.  :rolleyes:

I was wondering if is there an existing software that I can use to auto-generate/design RPD (Removable Partial denture) cases. I've been looking all over the place and all I found is bunch of either doesn't work or over-priced software. I'm trying to dive deep into this subject and was hoping there's a software I can use to help me out. :)

Any help would be appreciated. :unsure:

Designing RPDs is not difficult, not to mention the only way that a piece of software could actually produce patient-speciifc results is through a digital scan of the occlusion or model, you inputting (or the software analyzing) a path of insertion, and then telling it exactly where restorations are, where crowns are, etc.

Honestly that's way more work than it is to simply draw a simple pattern on a lab script. Occasionally you can make a couple of off-the-cuff decisions with different clasp designs or an unconventional layout, but the lab tech is going to figure out path of insertion, undercuts, etc. for you, unless you're a dedicated prosthodontist. Then again, if you're a dedicated prostho, removable RPDs are the simplest most basic thing you do and you could do them in your sleep.

Why are you looking for automation here? If it's with respect to difficulty I'd recommend you just dig into some textbooks.

Hi, thanks for your input. I have to slightly disagree, they're not that simple to my knowledge. There are plenty of factors to take care of and it becomes very tricky and confusing when it comes to placing the rests on the available teeth, especially when there are only 3-4 teeth removed in different areas. I honestly don't want the lab tech to figure out that for me, the purpose of the whole thing is to master it by myself and to follow the best practices out there. I've heard that plenty of mistakes and cases have been done by some dentists resulted in the patient swallows the denture or it gets bent while eating, not to mention the soreness, feeling uncomfortable for a reason or another.

Anyways, the software doesn't have to be perfect to the point that it needs to use a scan, it can be as simple as just taking the input and spits out generic results/design for me. However, I've already found one called "easy removable partial designer/generator" or "EZRPD" (not sure if I'm allowed to put a link here) but it's more for businesses, I've already contacted them for student access, they said the school I'm enrolled in have to have a contract with them in order for me to access it. if is there something similar but for students that would be perfect.

I didn't realize you were in school. I think it indeed would spit out generic designs, I don't think it's terribly practical or patient-specific. If you're in school it makes more sense to me as a study tool more than anything else; I doubt it has high clinical applicability but it might help you study.

You already understand that there are many factors to take into consideration - many of them are clinical considerations that software would not be able to determine.

When do you forgo a certain abutment tooth because it's weak? When do you have a high smile line that you have to adjust for (to avoid a clasp showing on maxillary arch)? When do you have a heavily restored tooth that requires a survey crown instead? Can the software accept radiographs and analyze crown to root ratio/root configuration, etc for appropriate clasp and rest teeth? There are many other questions

It does look like the software will just give you very generic designs. Better to look for a decent removable textbook like Stewarts Clinical Removable Partial Prosthodontics by Rodney Phoenix

This shows how much dental schools over-complicate the topic of RPD design.  I also found it very confusing as a student but it really isn’t rocket science.  

The design is more about clinical judgement and treatment planning than it is about ‘engineering’.  You need enough retention to keep it in place (1-2 clasps per side) and potentially an anti-rocking mechanism (eg indirect retainer).  All the other choices about clasp design, framework design, material options, etc will be based on your preference and experience and the patient’s individual situation.  

Archived